New Muscovy/Mallard Hen!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Buxton Ducks, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Buxton Ducks

Buxton Ducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    I just bought this off looking girl and wanted to share her. She was a feed store find, she hatched out from a flock of muscovies but apartently somebody else snuck in! She has a pink bill and blue eyes. She is a good flier too!
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Which one? the solid white one looks like my full blooded Scovys and they have blue eyes.

3. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Yep the solid white one. She has no caruncles though and carries herself like more like a runner than my other scovies. I will get some better pictures.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did they have any idea how old she is? I can see some red outlining like mine get when they are young but haven't stated getting the caruncles yet. then again she could be a mix.

5. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    She was hatched in august I guess. I tried to get some better pictures. She does have some red starting so I guess time will tell.
    [​IMG]

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's a good pic and she looks full Muscovy to me. Very pretty girl too.

7. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Can always count on Miss Lydia for some good waterfowl advice! One detail I left out is that Boris (my big male muscovy) didn't do the usually "chase her around for an hour" thing he always does to new muscovy hens. The females all did that hilarious hissing head bob thing. Thanks again Miss Lydia, she is. Beauty of a duck regardless!

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    And one reason why Boris didn't chase her YET she may not be of breeding age yet. So other than probably not hearing much out of her yet, listen for her making the trilling sound like your other Scovy girls I haven't ever had a Scovy mix in a duck but I did rescue some Scovy mix drakes once and they quacked just like a duck didn't sound a bit like Scovy's. AND I could be wrong but that face just looks pure Scovy to me. I love those girls faces. [​IMG]

9. Buxton Ducks

Jan 16, 2012
    Buxton, Maine
    Here is a picture of Bueler, my mule drake. He is huge but can fly and he prefers to hang out with the mallard types.
    [​IMG]

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    What a handsome boy, the 3 I had looked very similar Too bad I didn't have a computer then so I could have pics to share. You have some very nice geese and ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by