1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Muscovy Owner Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hroewe, Aug 14, 2013.

1. hroewe

hroewe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2013
    I recently purchased three hens, and a drake, and one of my hens came with her 6 ducklings. I'm really enjoying them so far, and they haven't had any issues. We live in Washington so I know they will be very seasonal layers...BUT.... :) ..... Will my momma hen lay again this year if she's raising her babies? Also, how long after a molt do muscovies typically begin laying again? I bought them with the understanding they may not lay at all until next spring, but I am fairly curious.

These pics were taken right after we brought them home. They are currently free ranging :)[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hroewe

Aug 3, 2013
    I also have new Pilgrim goslings! :)

Abraham, Amelia, and Abigail.

[​IMG]

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Mama may go back to laying once ducklings are weaned which can be at 3 weeks to 6 weeks old. the longer they stay with her the better. and usually after they finish molting mine are through for the year which is usually late September. but you may have a few that will continue to lay, it's lack of daylight that triggers them to shut down for the year. I don't force my girls to lay past their own time table. they deserve to rest their bodies. Some say use light but I don't agree. From what I can see of your Scovy's they look nice, maybe post pics again soon so we can see them now.[​IMG] there is also a Scovy thread...

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  5. hroewe

Aug 3, 2013
    Ok, great! I appreciate the input. We aren't much for lights in the coop. Haven't done it for the chickens in years. I will post more pictures periodically, and thank you for the link! :)

6. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    How fun! honestly, i have found it varies. Some resume quicker than others in both regards. Definitely when they wean and how close to weather/light changes for molting effecting laying.

7. hroewe

Aug 3, 2013
    Two of my ducks were in molt when I picked them up, the drake and one hen. It just seemed early compared to when my chickens usually molt, so I thought...... Maybe.... There's a chance they will start again. They are growing their feathers back in very well. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by