New Muscovy.

JamieMcClain

Songster
Jul 1, 2020
My husband went and picked 4 new adult Muscovy hens up today for our male and the person we got them from threw this little guy/gal in for free. It was outside with the others but it’s not fully feathered yet so I’m not comfortable keeping it outside with the big birds. Will it be okay inside without a mate/friend? I have no one little to keep with it. Also the person swore it’s a girl but I’m thinking it’s a boy. Born in august sometime.
8EB0BE1E-15B6-437B-8B66-E163C8F7BF41.jpeg
674E29D9-527E-48FE-A786-CE156193C3D5.jpeg

Hmmm, is it possible the seller didn't know what to do either and was passing his/her problem on to you? Ducks are pretty hardy, but I don't know how cold it is where you are, so I would err on the side of caution and keep the little one inside.

All of my ducks are runners, and when I have had to quickly replace a hen (due to extreme over-breeding by romantic males), adding only one has meant that girl was always the odd duck out for the rest of her life.

That may not be true of all breeds or all ducks. Will it be a problem if the baby turns out to be a drake? I don't know. My adult runner drakes easily accepted another male -- one of the female ducklings who, as it turned out, wasn't. He grew up in an adjacent brooder pen, and there were no problems when everyone integrated into one flock.

I hope everything works out for you and the little one.

My husband went and picked 4 new adult Muscovy hens up today for our male and the person we got them from threw this little guy/gal in for free. It was outside with the others but it’s not fully feathered yet so I’m not comfortable keeping it outside with the big birds. Will it be okay inside without a mate/friend? I have no one little to keep with it. Also the person swore it’s a girl but I’m thinking it’s a boy. Born in august sometime. View attachment 2420584View attachment 2420586
With it being in a room full of family should be fine till fully feathered. Face looks girly but even though I’ve had Muscovy since 2004 I don’t like to say for sure until at least 6 weeks old. Maybe @oldhenlikesdogs would be willing to say. Sure is cute❤️

Back
Top Bottom