New Muscovy's Arrived Today

Jul 26, 2018
Western, PA
8 Muscovy eggs all looked to have made the trip uncracked. Didnt have time to really inspect them because i had to run out the door to work. They should have been laid on Thursday. Of course the incubator I ordered is not here yet! It's in state so a day or two max. How should I store them till it arrives? How many days till I should panic buy one off the shelf?
IMG_20180820_131329.jpg

They should be fine sitting in a cool spot in your house for the next few days.
Candle them tonight in the dark closet to check them out and make sure they haven't already started to develop.

Have you ever incubated eggs before?

Nope first time I bought some eggs spur of the moment to replace some losses. I have been reading this.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/incubating-and-hatching-muscovy-eggs.63532/
To get familiar with the process and plan on bombarding this forum with questions
Great!
The most important thing to do is get a thermometer and a hydrometer...not the ones that come with the bator and calibrate them both before you start.

That way you know for sure that your temperature and humidity are close to perfect.

You can not trust the installed thermometers and humidity gauges...even on brand new bators.

That is so cool. I have owned muscovy ducks for over fifteen years and have NEVER owned one that lays BROWN eggs!!!! I just read up on it and I guess it's some rare thing. Are they really that brown or is it just a camera, computer, monitor thing?????
:eek: I have no clue what color muscovy's lay.

The eggs look tinted to me but not so much brown on my screen.
Oh my...do you think OP might have been sent the wrong eggs?

Oh, sorry, original question... Muscovy can take up to thirty day to lay an entire nest. That means Muscovy eggs often sit for up to thirty days (not the healthiest, but my ducks still hatch the eggs, usually). Honestly with Muscovy eggs I'd only recommend they sit for up to two weeks before panicking. Yes I know other people recommend way less.

Keep them stored pointy end down to keep the yolk centered and air bubble properly positioned. Make sure to store them so that they don't lose too much moisture. They should be fine.

@casportpony what color do your ducks lay?
My ducks always lay white. But, I did look it up and Muscovy CAN lay brown!!!! Not as brown as some chickens, but definitely darker than I'm used to. I'd LOVE brown egg laying Muscovy!!

As for if you got the wrong eggs? Probably not. How big are the eggs?

edit: I'm a scatterbrain. Sorry KikisGirls, I didn't realize it wasn't OP question. duh. I'd STILL love to get my hands on a brown egg laying Muscovy though.

Back
Top Bottom