new muscovys

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jungle cat, Jul 28, 2013.

1. jungle cat

jungle cat New Egg

Jul 7, 2013
    heltonville
    I just bought some ducks and there full grown I'm going to lock them up for a few weeks when I let them free range will they fly away

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Ducks love to fly, now whether they will fly away I am not sure. If you have a body of water close by they may. I have a mountain river down below my house with lost of preds hungry for duck dinner so I clip my Scovy's one wing to keep them from getting down to the river. and staying grounded. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    If you have muscovy ducks, then expect them to fly.
    I would suggest keeping them cooped for a week or two. If you can, build a pen that they can't fly out of. Let them out into the pen, feed and water them in the pen, for another 2-3 weeks. Then you can open the pen to let them free range. But if they know they will only be fed and watered in the pen or coop, they generally won't go far and usually come back if they do.
    But I have found muscovy ducks to be the hardest to get to go in a coop every night. I have 3 that I keep cooped/penned all the time because they don't like to come in on their own.
    The rest will hang out by the coop but I have to chase them in every night. They won't go in on their own like the rest of the ducks.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by