New Nanny Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sweetshoplady, May 3, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Songster

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Maria, 4 yr old Saanen
    [​IMG]

Strawberry Creme
    2 yr old Saanen/Nubian

[​IMG]

These came from the breeders of my goat Cleo. She was raised with Maria and was very excited about her old pasturemate coming to live there. Maria has a little horn on the right side - a part that got missed in the disbudding. Evidently her mom and daughter have one in the same place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maria and Strawberry Creme are possibly bred. They have spent time with the people's buck. Maria has been in milk for 3 years. Her daughter and granddaughter are milking. She gives 3 qts a day as does the other one who has been in milk for 1 1/2 years. The people I got them from were very very nice and showed me their operation. I got to test milk 4 does to make my decision on who I would like to have to milk. Their place was neat. It was a working family farm. they had chickens, goats, cows. I came home with a wealth of information on how to do this goat thing. [​IMG]

If you're getting a new goat, I highly recommend milking it at there place (even just a little, like I did). It makes milking it when you get home much much easier, as far as goat-new owner/milker relations.

2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Good for you! [​IMG] 3 qu. a day is quite some milk!! [​IMG] More than my girls produce. But we're already overrun with milk, so any extra would have to go to the doggies. [​IMG]
    They are lovely girls! I'm glad you are happy with them.

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Songster

Mar 28, 2007
    i have a question.why are they not breeding the goats back an giving them a dry period.they need tobe bred back an dryed off so they can rest.

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Songster

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    your goats look good! I love my sanaans!!
    I was wondering the same about giving them a rest peroid, although they look pretty healthy!
    They must have been feeding them a good share of feed to keep them in milk and still keep them looking good!

5. helmstead

helmstead Songster

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Very pretty girls! Congrats!

[​IMG] for babies!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You know I love your pretty girls!

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Songster

Mar 20, 2008
    I love your gals. They look so relaxed just hanging out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: