1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Nanny Goats

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sweetshoplady, May 3, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Maria, 4 yr old Saanen
    [​IMG]

Strawberry Creme
    2 yr old Saanen/Nubian

[​IMG]

These came from the breeders of my goat Cleo. She was raised with Maria and was very excited about her old pasturemate coming to live there. Maria has a little horn on the right side - a part that got missed in the disbudding. Evidently her mom and daughter have one in the same place.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maria and Strawberry Creme are possibly bred. They have spent time with the people's buck. Maria has been in milk for 3 years. Her daughter and granddaughter are milking. She gives 3 qts a day as does the other one who has been in milk for 1 1/2 years. The people I got them from were very very nice and showed me their operation. I got to test milk 4 does to make my decision on who I would like to have to milk. Their place was neat. It was a working family farm. they had chickens, goats, cows. I came home with a wealth of information on how to do this goat thing. [​IMG]

If you're getting a new goat, I highly recommend milking it at there place (even just a little, like I did). It makes milking it when you get home much much easier, as far as goat-new owner/milker relations.

2. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Good for you! [​IMG] 3 qu. a day is quite some milk!! [​IMG] More than my girls produce. But we're already overrun with milk, so any extra would have to go to the doggies. [​IMG]
    They are lovely girls! I'm glad you are happy with them.

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    i have a question.why are they not breeding the goats back an giving them a dry period.they need tobe bred back an dryed off so they can rest.

4. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    your goats look good! I love my sanaans!!
    I was wondering the same about giving them a rest peroid, although they look pretty healthy!
    They must have been feeding them a good share of feed to keep them in milk and still keep them looking good!

5. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    Very pretty girls! Congrats!

[​IMG] for babies!

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You know I love your pretty girls!

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I love your gals. They look so relaxed just hanging out there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by