New NC Member!

Boonecoonhound

Hatching
8 Years
May 13, 2011
Hey everybody!

I finally made an account on here, after frequenting the message boards for about six months now. I am a college student in Boone, NC and the rest of my family lives in Raleigh, NC with the flock... or what's left of it....

We got 5 day old chicks in January (three silkies and two black australorps) and LOVED them dearly....until they started crowing. We ended up with FIVE out of FIVE roosters! What are the odds in that?!?!!?!

About two months ago I got a goldcrested polish chick and a blue-laced red wyandotte (at this time we were only sure of two roosters) to introduce to the flock but I didn't realize that they would soon be their own flock
sad.png

They're pretty shy so far but the Polish loves to be held once you can catch her. Keeping my fingers crossed they are both hens!!!!

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself to everyone!

Ellen

Oh-- I guess I should write about myself and my family on here, but I got too excited HAHA

I go to Appalachian State (agroecology major) but this is my first time "owning" chickens.... however, I have cleaned out many a chicken coop....
tongue.png

I have a redtick coonhound that I rescued (look for topics on dogs and chickens coming from me in the future). I have two younger siblings who don't care much for chickens. They liked them enough when they were day old fuzzy chicks but I think the chores of cleaning the poop changed their minds a little bit.

My parents LOVE the chickens and we spend a lot of time letting them roam free in the yard and finding out what foods the chickens prefer. I love watching them nibble watermelon haha!

One of my favorite pictures on this site is on the "treats" page, where a user snapped a shot of a bunch of chickens eating leftover stir fry. Bahaha.

Thanks for reading!

frow.gif
Ellen and
welcome-byc.gif

I visited here for about 6 months too before setting up an account. Since you've been lurking for awhile I don't have to tell you what a good group of folks there are here.

Good luck with the chickens, hope both turn out to be hens!

Welcome!
celebrate.gif

Enjoy the forum.

The FAQs at the upper right hand corner of the page, may prove helpful as you find your way around.

Back
Top Bottom