NEW near Gettysburg, PA - I am loving this site!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aeropennchick, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Greetings everyone!
    My hubby and I just got our first six chicks and we are really excited. We got four red pullets and two unsexed buff orps from the tractor supply near our house, and all are growing like mad. Gonna be coop building next week - we have 30 acres, and our dogs have an invisible fence, so we were going to build the coop outside the fence and let them free range. Might add a fenced in run for the winter time.
    I am wondering, where does everyone buy chickens of different breeds when they only want a small flock? I have seen websites where you can order as few as three but the shipping is out of control.
    Also, if the chicks are unsexed, should I just buy them in pairs and hope at least one is a pullet? And what should our plan be if we end up with multiple roosters?
    I would feel bad to kill them if they aren't large enough to eat - it's sad enough without being wasteful.

Thank everyone!

~Sara Jane

2. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

3. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    [​IMG]

IME, you'll need more that 2 "straight run" chicks if you want to be sure of getting one of either sex. My experience has run something like this:
    2 chicks=2 roosters
    3 chicks= 2 roosters, 1 unknown (died)
    4 chicks= 3 roosters, 1 seriously hassled hen
    [​IMG](I'm joking, I do that a lot)

Some breeds are easy to sex at a young age, if you know what to look for. That helps a lot, IF you want to work with that breed.

As to eating the surplus roo's? You certainly can raise them to a large enough size to eat, before they get bent on killing each other (actually, the roo's of most breeds aren't that savage, they often will tolerate other roo's as long as they have enough space. Extra roo's are noisy, though, and they do aggravate the hens no end.)

Once again, welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  4. 4kidzmama

4kidzmama New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    You live fairly close to me :) that's cool. I live in Mercersburg that is about 1 hour away. I am new to all of this too. I did get several different breeds of chickens and we got ours at a local feed supply...Snider's Elevator. I got (excuse my spelling) 2 white leg horn, 1 Americana, 2 comets ( I would of chose Rhode Island Reds but they were out) , and 2 black links. If you are looking for additions to your family they will be getting more in in Greencastle which also would be about an hour away. The have quite a variety too! Hope this helps.

5. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Thanks guys!! It is comforting to know that more than one roo doesn't necessarily mean we'll have to cull them...I'm fairly sure the orps I got will get along with anyone :) I am planning to get a pair of silkies to add to the mix, and it looks like they shouldn't be too aggressive - I have the option of getting some that are a few months old, but I think I will stick with the wee chicks so I can have a better shot at making them my buddies. The breeder says it is difficult to tell the sex for that breed until they either start laying or crowing!
    4kidzmama - Thanks for the info about Green Castle! I have also heard about some good stores in Carlisle and York that should be accessible to those from our neck of the woods.

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

There are often local breeders that will sell a few chicks. Try posting on your state thread for local BYCers that may be able to help you out. And chickenstocks often start in the spring, there is a forum for that as well - look in the Social section of the Forum.

7. Nslangton

Nslangton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2012
    Hi from Bucks County PA. We got our chicks at Moyers Chicks in PA. They only sell four types 2 egg layers and 2 meat birds. We got the egg layers and they are all hens. They are the healthiest chicks I have ever seen. They are probably close enough to you that you could pick them up at the hatchery. Not sure if the gas prices would beat the shipping charges, but you will get all hens and they won't be stressed from shipping.

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. BillinPA

BillinPA Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2012
    Greencastle PA
    Holy cow there are a lot of people here from pa. Lol.

Welcome.

Aeropengirl I used to spend some time up in aspers. Great area around gettysburg.

4kidsmom. Wow I'm just over the mountain from u. I have 10 more chicks ordered at the feed store in Greencastle. Lol. Small world isn't it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by