New, Nervous, and Excited

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cdias, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Cdias

Cdias New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    South Carolina
    Hi. I am a brand new chicken mama! I am very excited but also nervous, as i am reading a lot and finding out how little i know and how much there is to learn. I already made some mistakes on how we built our coop and run, but my first question is about de-worming. I had no idea this was necessary. Should i automatically do this every so often or is it only necessary if you see problems? Love this site and i am sure i will be here often!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Some people worm on a routine - perhaps twice a year. Some never worm. A lot depends upon where you live and how much space the birds have.

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  4. Cdias

Cdias New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    South Carolina
    I have two Silverlaced Wyandottes and two Black Australorps. I am already in love with them and their personalities. They are not wanting to go in the coop at all though. Should i force them? I have put a night light in there and they seem curious but still unsure. Thanks for the warm welcome![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Cdias, and :welcome. Pleased you joined our community! :)

6. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and welcome to BYC! It is a good idea to put them in the coop at night for a little bit more protection from predators. For the time being, you can pick them up and put them in the coop at night. They might be nervous for the first few days, but they will get used to it and soon will be comfortable going into the coop by themselves. To cement the habit of going into the coop when it gets dark, you can throw a treat like scratch in the coop as a reward when you want them to go inside. Thanks for joining us and good luck! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. BlueBaby

BlueBaby Overrun With Chickens

Hello, and welcome to BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you joined us at Backyard chickens :)

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by