New nest box.. height ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by featherz, Dec 26, 2010.

1. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Due to the business of the holidays and the fact that it's chilly outside, I cheated and just bought a nest box for the chooks that have just started a-squattin'. Put it in the coop with fake eggs a bit ago. Didn't want it too far up and wanted room to clean under it - plus due to the size of it, it needed to go between two studs or I'd have a gap at the back. Is this an ok height for them to want to lay eggs in or do I need it lower? Should I put a curtain over it to make it darker? [​IMG]

My roo was nice enough to pose with it. He's not old enough to show the ladies a good spot yet tho. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    The color is fine... but with that sized roo, I bet the ladies will have a bit of a hard time fitting there fluffy butts in there. But privacy-wise, that's great, and the hens will try to get in the smallest box they can find. The height is fine.

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    THANKS!!! Here's a pic of a pullet near the box. She's about 6 months old. I am pretty sure they will fit ok as long as the roo doesn't jump in there with them. he's huge for being a baby (14 weeks).. I know others on here have these boxes and I just love being lazy for once. [​IMG] Our last boxes (which we made) are right at 'walk in' level and I kind of regret that.

[​IMG]

(those are my fake eggs in there.. lol)..

4. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    He's 14 weeks? Dang! She looks okay. I think she barely fits the limit.

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:Hee hee. We will find out. If they lay eggs under it I'll know they are just too fat!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by