1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Nesting Box Equals My First Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dangerouschicken, Jul 6, 2008.

1. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Here we are together, me and my egg

[​IMG]

Here is one of Greyfields' big and beautiful eggs vs my little newbie egg, for comparison

[​IMG]

DH found our egg in the new nesting box/roost combo! I had just put it in there! It was like they were waiting to lay until the nesting box showed up. The nesting box/roost combo I scored for free just this morning from the coffee shop where I'll be trading my eggs for coffee. The guy just had this wood contraption sitting next to the dumpster, I instantly saw its use, so asked him for it. He just gave it to me. So home it came. The white things are golf balls.

[​IMG]

Our 5-month-old pullets especially love it. Long may they lay!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Great smile! Congrats to you and your feathered kids.

3. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Thank you so very much!

Hey, did you see my Beautiful Turken thread today? You need to post your Turkens on there!

Turk [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    How awesome.

In the new economy, lots of us are going to need to learn to barter and trade. Good job!!!

5. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Oh I am so about the barter and trade. It's fun! I think it used to be a caddy for an outdoor garbage can and recycling bins. The coffee shop owner was going to haul it off, anyway. I think its new recycled use is serving us all, huh? [​IMG]

6. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    I just peeked in on them. They were all sleeping on their roosts, just as happy as can be. I'm so glad they have a proper place to roost now. [​IMG]

Yay free stuff!

7. chick-e-chick

chick-e-chick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2008
    uk
    That's excellent, I'm so looking forward to our chicks laying their first egg! I love the new roost, isn't it exciting when you make something new for them, we just made ours a new house and they love it!

8. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Yay new houses! It is funny, I was thinking, "Hey, this will work," but I wasn't thinking that they'd truly like it so much. I mean, they LOVE it. A couple of them have been up there since they first jumped up. They are sooooo content. And it makes me happy that they are happy [​IMG]

chick-e-chick, when are your pullets due to start laying?

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    that is great! can i just say that Greyfield egg is ginormous! makes me want an egg salad sandwich!
    congrats and good scavenging!

10. dangerouschicken

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Greyfields has BIG eggs. They come out of these happily nesting birds that have been free-ranging all day. When we looked into the coop, they were either cuddled in the laying box, or coming out to run crazy in the grass. He's got an egg laying party going on over there, not to mention one 12-week-old Red Bro that is GIGANTIC! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by