New nesting box, how to I get the chickens to explore it?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MambaJack, Sep 13, 2016.

1. MambaJack

MambaJack Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    Last week i put in a nesting box below my poop shelf/roost, pretty excited about how it turned out, definitely the most private part of the coop.
    That being said, Also got my first egg today! Yea! (it was on the poop shelf. tho)

Trying to figure out if i need to make any mods to the nesting box to make it more inviting to the chickens.
    Specifically i wonder if i put a ramp up to it if that would help. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, dave

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickcrack

chickcrack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2016
    Ontario, Canada
    Looks good! It's hard to judge how far of a jump that is for them...about a foot? You may get them nosing around a bit more if you put a ramp or ledge for them to stand o. Biggest thing I would suggest is some fake eggs or golf balls. It gives them the idea that the box is meant for a nest. An added benefit is that the pullets will peck at them and nothing will happen so they (hopefully) won't bother to peck at the eggs they eventually find in there. Congrats on your first egg and hopefully the next is poop free! Lol

3. MambaJack

MambaJack Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2016
    I built a small ramp, next day the egg was in the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by