New New New

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by AlwaysForever, Feb 23, 2015.

1. AlwaysForever

AlwaysForever Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    My husband and I just bought our first house with a total of over 4 acres in the Pacific Northwest. Within a month we bought our little flock of chicks 3 easter eggers, 1 maran, 2 silkies, and 2 polish from a local Wilco. We are in love and might even be interested in showing at some point although not sure how to get into that.. we also just purchased 2 coops (no tools to make one currently)!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd look for poultry shows in your area and attend a couple to give you an introduction to what goes on there.

http://www.poultryshowcentral.com/

Be careful with those silkies and polish. They're particularly vulnerable to aerial predators.

3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Cant help you with showing your birds, because I only keep pets. They are mostly Mutts. But I still luv em so. If I was to enter them into some kind of a contest, I am sure the officials would set the DOGZ on me. LOL. I know there are peeps on BYC that can lead you to such avenues as showing your birds. Search threads about showing your birds. That would be a good start.
    MOST OF ALL [​IMG]

4. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join! Feel free to ask any questions you may have, this site is loaded with lots of useful information, I'm sure you will find answers to all your questions here!
    [​IMG] Enjoy your flock!
    [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!!

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

6. AlwaysForever

AlwaysForever Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    We are very concerned about flying predators, but the coops have covered runs and we will free roam them with supervision

7. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great to hear you have a covered run and will be supervising free ranging. I would especially watch your polish when free ranging. Due to the large crest and limited vision they have, they easily get lost and spooked!! I only do supervised with my polish due to this and have to constantly shout them back so they know where I am. I'm sure the neighbours think I'm mad.

Wishing the very best of luck with them and any showing you may do in the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! We'll be happy to help in any way we can.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC.[​IMG] I'm so glad you joined our community!

You've received some good advice already! Some other good information on showing chickens can be found here:
    http://pathfindersfarm.com/Articles.html

Good luck with your chicks! I hope you can find answers to all of your questions.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by