New - New York suburb girl now living in the country of NC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by medicgal82, Feb 27, 2017.

1. medicgal82

medicgal82 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2017
    Hey everyone! I am originally from New York, where I was surrounded by humans. Lots of humans. And I mean LOTS. I now live in my own house that is right next to a pasture full of cows (which are much more pleasant sometimes than human neighbors!). I have an 11 year old son, 5 year old Bernese Mountain Dog and an almost 2 year old German Shepherd. My son and I have decided that we are going to raise our own chickens! We made a long list of different breeds that we found and have decided to go with Silkies this year! We are in the process of building an extended run for them, we have one coop so far and will be adding another one to give them an extra space. We are learning as we are going, so any information you have for us, we will gladly accept it!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, medicgal, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sounds like you are living in a much nicer place!!
    Here are a few links that may aid you in your poultry journey:
    The Learning Center is packed with useful articles covering nearly all aspect of poultry raising:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    You can visit with fellow NC poultry folk in your state thread in this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    And here's a link to a very active Silkie thread where you can speak with other owners of the breed:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/297632/silkie-thread
    Best wishes, good luck, and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]Silkies are a very popular breed however, they are extremely difficult to sex before 4-5 mos. of age, and sometime not till they crow or lay eggs. I mention this because buying young chicks will be quite a gamble unless you don't mind having males.

4. N F C

N F C gobble gobble Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Raising poultry will be an exciting hobby for you and your son! Just a word of caution, if your dogs haven't been around chickens, they shouldn't be allowed to get too close until you've had a chance to thoroughly evaluate how they will behave. We hear way too many stories of the family dog attacking the family chickens (not to say that your's will...just a heads-up is all).

Best of luck to you!

5. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under medicgal82 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice and links, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

6. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! Please make yourself at home here and enjoy yourself! :frow

~Cuz

7. medicgal82

Feb 25, 2017
    I didn't plan on letting the dogs get near the chickens when they free roam. Love my dogs, but I now also love my chickens! I've let them meet the chicks through a barrier but I don't plan on allowing them to be free at the same time. My dogs have a huge out door kennel they romp in, or they stay inside or secured on my porch. If they are free, I am out there and I can promise my chickens won't be out at the same time!

8. medicgal82

Feb 25, 2017
    We have 3 Silkies now and have 2 more coming. We did end up getting a confirmed pullet Wyandotte. We have a friend who own a farm who will take any roosters I get from the straight pull silkies/sizzles I will have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by