New old coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brains, Jul 29, 2013.

1. brains

brains Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2013
    Geauga County, Ohio
    I am very new to this and do not have chickens yet but thought I would try it out since one of the previous owners had a coop that he left behind. Now I am trying to figure out how to move it up a steep hill covered in rocks. I think I will disassemble and rebuild to avoid destroying it while moving it.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. I plan on adding a run that would be about 4 ft wide by maybe 10 ft long
    Thanks
    Ed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. brains

Jul 26, 2013
    Geauga County, Ohio
    Updates since I am impatient. I am thinking I might move the nesting boxes to an add on to the back
    Ed
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Good luck with the move.Having the boxes on the outside is nice no poop on the feets.I have a 10x10 dog kennel for a run, Easy to wire in sides top and bottom, Got it on craigslist.

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Nice! :thumbsup

5. brains

Jul 26, 2013
    Geauga County, Ohio
    Today was the big move day. My dad and I disassembled the old coop and either carried or put straps and chains on it and towed it up a hill through the prickers and then reassembled. Tomorrow hopefully the siding and then the run

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Nicely done! [​IMG] I think having the nesting boxes accessible from the outside will be helpful, I didn't bother with my coop but it was built more like a shed, plenty of room for me inside :) What I'm using for a run right now is also a dog kennel, something like 12'x7'x6'. You have to predator proof it, but it's really nice (and easy) to use a kennel. Are you cleaning it as you put it back together?

7. brains

Jul 26, 2013
    Geauga County, Ohio
    Plan to pressure wash it prior to assembling. I have a lot of predators in my area so I will be using the hardware cloth on the run and then digging out around the base and putting it in. I also have some very large rocks that I plan to install around the perimeter. The predator thing is my biggest fear. Hopefully I do not learn the hard way

8. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Good bones for a coop... Lucky you having it left behind! I like your idea of moving the boxes outside. Would allow more room for roosting. It looks like a nice window in the front, but may I suggest an additional window that can be opened or some additional vents for the ever important ventilation.

9. farmgirlroots

farmgirlroots Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2013
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Something else I just noticed...the clean out door that I think I see on the side... Any way to make that larger for ease of getting in there far if need be?

10. Rnbwbrite1207

Rnbwbrite1207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    This looks like a really great start and the suggestions left so far seem spot on. Really looking forward to finished pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by