New/Old Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FarmerFaith81, Feb 20, 2012.

1. FarmerFaith81

FarmerFaith81 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Carthage, In 46115
    I have 1 red star, and 2 barred rock whom I have had for a few months(old chickens). They were my first hen's =), recently I bought 2 Ameracauna's and 2 banty hens(new). The 4 new ones sit in the coop all day and wont come out. When I went in there to clean the old pine shavings up and put new down, I chased the "new" ladies out so I could clean, and I noticed the "old" hens imediately start pecking at my new ladies. It almost seems as if they are following right behind them, no matter where it is they go, and peck at them. They have not drawn blood on any of the new ladies. Is this normal behaviour when introducing new chickens to an established flock? Will they stop this eventually, or do I need to seperate them? Even my roo kinda picks on the new ladies a bit. Im lost lol. Any insight or help would be greatly appreciated.

FF[​IMG]

2. beefmaster

beefmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    yes that is normal when you put new chickens in with old 1s.just watch them they should settle in in a few days.

1 person likes this.
  3. crowzzz

crowzzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    N. California
    [​IMG]
    Hi,
    I have been looking all ove BYC for an answer to a similar problem, and have not seen a solution yet.
    I have 6 hens in one pen and 2 in another. The 6 all get along nicely, but the 2 are victims everytime I let them out to free range together. One of the 2 was a tiny chick with 4 of the 6, yet she has been bloodied, and almost killed by them. She is a RIR and is in a pen with a white leghorn. The leghorn also was almost killed. I would love to get them all together, but everytime I let them mix there is a big fight.
    Since your ladies are not vicious with each other, they may eventually work it out. One suggestion I saw was to provide several water and feed stations, so there is no compitition for food.
    I will try that, butminehave been fighting for a year, and seem determined to eliminate each other I don't have much hope. My other solution is to give the 2 away, and be done with it.
    Crowzzz

4. cooped up

cooped up Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2012
    Portland, Or
    I have one chicken that I seperated because she was getting picked on by another.I gave her extra treats to get her strength up, then switched the mean bird and isolated it. When my new chicks start laying , I will cull the mean bird out with others that don't produce so well.. Her name is now Stew.

5. FarmerFaith81

Jan 11, 2012
    Carthage, In 46115
    Oh my! That is aweful!!! I have two different feeding stations now, I always have. They all seem to drink out of the water just fine. and at night when is time for "bed" they all line up on the roost and do great. It seems to be only during the day when the new chickens go outside. I figured maybe it was thier way of figuring out thier pecking order, and as long as they are not causing each other to bleed it should be ok. I have been watching them closely, just to make sure they dont get too vicious with one another. I love my birds, and would hate to have to part with any of them! I will see if I cant find some info for you, and I'll also ask a few of my friends who have raised chickens a long time to see what they say about your situation. Thanks for the replies!!

6. crowzzz

crowzzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    N. California
    I would love to get everyone into the same pen, but it just doesn't seem to work out. They even try to fight through the fence when I let the larger group out. I think I will watch and see who is the agressor, maybe I can isolate that one or two and the rest can work out a peace agreement. I just posted some pictures of everyone.

7. FarmerFaith81

Jan 11, 2012
    Carthage, In 46115
    Are your black n whites Dominiques or Barred rocks? I couldnt really see thier combs to tell. I would def. see who the aggressor is. You could let them out one at a time, and see who it is that goes for the attack. I think that would be the easiest way. I have found from observing my chickens, whatever my dominant hen does the other ladies follow suit. You have some beautiful ladies!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by