New Old Member

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by IsaacK, Jul 4, 2016.

1. IsaacK

IsaacK Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Was on here years ago, but can't remember my old email or login information. Finally got back into chickens for my 2 year old autistic son. They have been great therapy for him. Currently we have Easter Eggers, Barred Rock, Rhode Island Red, and a couple mystery breeds. Thought I would check with folks here to see what everyone's thoughts were on my sons chickens' breeds, and also research a few new breeds.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  3. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    :frow Hi, and welcome to BYC!!

Here is a link to a thread by @Calebs Chicks. She has an autistic son as well, and has gotten chicks for him. You can send her a private message if you want to get in touch with her. She's super nice :)

Also, you should definitely check out the link Yorkshire provided.

Best of luck to you and your son!!

1 person likes this.
  4. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Hi and [​IMG] Thanks for joining us!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, some of the docile breeds are Cochin, Buff Orpington, silkies.

7. IsaacK

IsaacK Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Southern Indiana
    Thank you all for the welcome. I have had many, many, chickens in the past and am delighted my son enjoys them as well in spite of his struggles. We have a little mixed starter flock for now, mostly so he could raise the chicks, but most will be leaving for their new homes soon as was planned. I am still not sure if we will be keeping full sized or bantams for the long haul. In any case, the goal will be a small number of birds that are easily discernible from each other. I am having some difficulty locating the breeds I really want though, and may have to look into ordering hatching eggs for them. The hatchery chicks were a great start, but I hope to get him into chicken shows as he gets older so I know I have some work to do before that day arrives. :) Thank you all again. -K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by