New older chick not bonding with others....please help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Haunted Chicken, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    I may have made a big mistake today. I added a single 6 week old with my 4 and 5 week old chicks. She is much bigger than them. A few of them pecked at her for a while and then bam she turned on them and pecked them back. Now they are terrified of her. I separated them but she cries constantly unless someones holding her. We've tried a mirror, stuffed animal and a feather duster. Every time I try to put her back in with them she goes straight for them and starts pecking aggressively. They huddle in the corner with their backs to her and she keeps trying to peck them. I pull her right back out and the crying starts over. I'd go back and get one of her siblings but it's almost a 2 hour drive just to get there. Why oh why did I think she would fit in with the little ones and not get two while I was there. Has anyone ever had to keep one separated until the others catch up in size? Will the crying stop? Will she eventually settle in with them or should I stop trying before some one gets hurt? I'm about to cry with her I feel so bad. I thought she'd be so happy here (well, I guess she is as long as I'm playing with her).

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. Haunted Chicken

Haunted Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Oregon
    Phew! OK I did a little more searching and used one more idea I found here and it looks like it's going to work. I linked the top and bottom of a HUGE dog kennel and moved it out to a quiet storage room. Then I made a couple hinged tops for each side out of some wire shelving and zip tied it all snugly together. Now they only have a gate between them. When I left they were all content and Goldie (our new "big" girl) was laying on top of her teddy bear in front of the gate with the other chicks right on the other side. All is quiet....for now. I'm pooped and going to bed too. Thank goodness for this site!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Perfect setup! I'm in the middle of integrating two small flocks I'm raising. I'm on day 15 or 16 and my 3 older chicks do not like the 5 newcomers whatsoever! I have a wire dog kennel in the coop separating them when I'm not in the coop. I'm waiting for my 7 week d'uccle to reach full size before I let them together unsupervised. She's so small, the 12 week olds could kill her easily.

Since their roughly the same size, you should have an easier time integrating your chick. I bet your chick will be with the other 2 real soon. Good luck

4. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    This is the perfect set up and well thought out. I too have a lone chick (eleven killed in one night by raccoon) and she's very dismal and depressed but I don't dare put her with the others as she is too small. At least your little Goldie will have some company. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by