new, older chicken terrorizing younger hens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by R3ranch, Aug 14, 2010.

1. R3ranch

R3ranch In the Brooder

May 2, 2010
    3 days ago I adopted a 20 month old EE hen and added her to my small, urban flock of 2 (15 month old RIR and Delaware). The 2 younger birds can't catch a break. The EE is always quick to snap at them and chase them from the food bowl (I've had to add another feeder). My 2 young hens can't seem to relax; always having to watch their backs! I've even had to add a 2nd temporary roost because the EE won't let them come up.

The outdoor covered run is 22 ft x 8 ft and the indoor roost/nesting area is 6ft long x 3 ft wide x 6 ft tall.

WILL THIS GET BETTER OVER TIME as my hens get older? Or will it always be this way? If it does stay this way, will it affect the laying of my 2 young hens (being constantly stressed)?

I assumed that when I took in this new bird, that there would be a few days of discontent, but once the pecking order was established, they could all thrive together. Am I making a bigger deal out of this than I should? I feel bad for my young hens.

Any advice/opinion is welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

I would absolutely give it more time. Sounds like the adjustments you have made will help. [​IMG]

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

... oh... and [​IMG]

4. dee88

dee88 Chirping

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas
    I would say more time is the ticket; however, I've read that when you introduce new chickens to your flock, you should do it slowly, over a period of time. Keep them separate but where they can still see each other; hence, they will get use to each other. I'm sure it will get better even if you don't separate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by