New older chicks, time to guess the gender!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by VanAndXan, Nov 10, 2013.

1. VanAndXan

VanAndXan New Egg

Apr 23, 2013
    So, I received some new chicks on the cheap and it's time to guess their gender and verify their breed. I figured I'd ask the panel of awesome chicken lovers that come here!

First is Hawk. We think it's a cockerel and is supposedly a Dominique Roo x Buckeye hen. He's 8 weeks and a bit of a punk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next is Peanut. She is definitely a full breed Buckeye. 6 week olds and the only survivor of an incubator issue gone bad. Such a curious little thing. Jumps up and into your hands just to snuggle. We think it's a pullet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now we get to the toughies. First is Pigeon. Supposedly a Welsummer cross hen (light one at that) with a Cuckoo Maran roo. Feathered legs. Darker coloring. I think she is a she.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And then there is the biggest mystery. Supposedly came from the same hatch as Pigeon. Same coloration with no feathering on the legs. Pullet looking. Comb is slightly pink and looks like the beginning of a Dominique comb. Since the Welsummer was running with several roos my thought is this one is actually a tad older and a Dom x Welsummer pullet. Legs are flesh colored. I am also taking suggestions on names for her. =)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pigeon on the left and our mystery bird on the right.
    [​IMG]

Thanks!!! Sorry for the messy house in the background. That's my task for tomorrow. Haha.

2. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    The only cockerel I see is Peanut because of the larger comb. Your mystery chick may be a boy too.

3. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    spot. see spot run

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    First bird--does not have a Dom father or it would be barred. Might have a gold laced Wyandotte father, something like that. Can't see enough to guess gender.
    Second bird--not a buckeye, they have rose combs. This looks like some type of Red cockerel.
    Third bird--could be the breed cross stated, but with that much leg feathers, I'd be looking for a momma with feathered legs, also. Most cuckoo Marans are clean shanked, and the ones that are feathered seem pretty sparse. Any feathered legged mommas up for consideration?
    Fourth bird--could be as advertised. Hard to tell what the momma could have been, the barring from the father covers a lot.

Looking at the last pic with the two birds together--any chance there was a bantam cochin around? that would explain Pigeon's feathered legs and small size.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    x2

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by