new on byc here is sort list of what we have

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ckndan, Aug 11, 2014.

1. ckndan

ckndan New Egg

Jul 23, 2014
    Harrison Tennessee
    We have a Speckled Sussex hen, Delaware hen and rooster,a production red hen, two bared Plymouth rock hens, a very large mixed up rooster, a black australorp rooster,7 bared rock teenagers (as we call them). in the brooder we have 7 buff orpintions, and 5 mixes we hatched from our hens. We also have 4 burban red turkeys..I think that's all.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Aww! Sounds like you have a great flock of pretty birds!

I also have buff orps and a speckled sussex. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined and don't hesitate to ask questions.

3. birdman55

birdman55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2014
    michigan
    My Coop
    welcome...this site has it all..very informative and you meet people that will tell you how it is... post some pics if you would im a newcomer myself...interested in seeing the birds...love them little creatures...

1 person likes this.
  4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. You have a nice mix of breeds, but you should thin down the number of roosters. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. Roosters can be very hard on your hens physically; over-breeding them, injuring them with their beaks and spurs, and battering them. I currently have 25 hens, no roosters, and I get loads of eggs without feeding any non-egg laying mouths, without the aggression, fights, crowing in the middle of the night, injuries, and over-bred and battered hens that frequently goes along with having roosters (especially too many). Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

5. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Welcome to BYC!

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sounds like you have a lovely flock!

Enjoy them and welcome to ours!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. ckndan

ckndan New Egg

Jul 23, 2014
    Harrison Tennessee
    Sorry didn't mean everyone was together,the Delawares and the red are in a house and lot of their own. Charlie the ten pound rooster lol is in a house and yard with two rocks and. Sussex, teens all rocks in another lot and house two turkeys and teen rock "they took up early "" the astralorp George is a loner scared of my most genital hen even so he just follows us around...whew

9. ckndan

ckndan New Egg

Jul 23, 2014
    Harrison Tennessee

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I gotcha! :eek:) As long as you have things arranged to your satisfaction where you aren't having rooster problems. I'm not too surprised about George. Australorps are one of the most gentle breeds. I have bred them for years, and never had an aggressive one, even when I kept roosters. Of course there are always exceptions to every rule.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by