new one hatched TOO early!!! what to do?!?!?!?!?

nicoletm24

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2010
Timberlake
hit.gif

i have one that just broke out, but there is blood EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

she's barely moving, soaked, but breathing.........

is this one of those...sit and watch her die moments?????
barnie.gif
i feel HORRIBLE
hit.gif

i've had so many come out perfect...and now this???????????????

is there ANY help in this?????

there's nothing you can do unless the blood is coming from the ripped umbilical cord and then you might use some styptic powder on it or put vaseline. They don't have much blood so it will be weak but the only thing is to keep it warm, let it dry and hope for the best.

I had one of my chicks hatch early too
sad.png
I think she heard the other ones that hatched and so she wanted to come too
sad.png
She unfortunately died...there was yolk and blood all over the bator
hit.gif

corn starch can stop the bleed if you dont have styptic powder but as a last resort, dont get it all over the chick.

I had a preemie pip the wrong end today and die in the bator. it's sad but if they come on their own, early, it's either not meant to be, or it's meant to be one tough little chick!

update.....this morning the one that hatched early, and made the bator look like a bloody mess...is doing ok.
fl.gif
standing up, chirping, and walking around. hasn't dried out yet...but i'm giving her time
jumpy.gif

Oh, excellent.

I've had a couple do that, and they all died. I'm so glad to hear it made it.

One thing I like to do when they bleed from the navel a bit is to dust the navel with tetracycline powder (Duramyacin) -- I think it helps to ward off any infections that could start in the wound.

This sure is a nerve-wracking process, isn't it? !!!

i have a chick now that seems healthy, but can't walk. she shuffles around. like her legs aren't working right........any ideas????

Quote:
Are one of her legs sticking out to the side? Maybe she's still worn out after the hatch.
smile.png
If her legs look ok it would probably be best to let her be for now and see if she improves. My two cents anyway.
wink.png

Make sure the surface is really non-slip, not something slippery like newspapers. An old terrycloth towel is great, or you can use the rubberized shelf liner they sell at dollar stores and big box stores.

it's a cardboard box, and the other chicks seem ok with it.

and i just noticed that there is another with the same issues. (yellow, we'll call her) has one leg that seems like it just won't bend, it stays under her all the time. then the other leg is sticking out to the side, like it won't go under her. she shuffles around on her belly. (black, we'll call the other one), neither of her legs seem to want to go under her...they both kinds stick out. she shufles around too......

Back
Top Bottom