New Owner Advice

JFS321

Hatching
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Hello chicken experts:

I am about to get 2 ten-week old hens for my backyard. Most of this yard is chain-link fence, and I have neighbors on all sides. I am hoping that my two hens will use a finished playhouse (walls and roof) for their coop.

I have a few questions that I would love to have answered:

1) If allowed in the yard freely, even with wings clipped, will these chickens easily bypass by 4' high fence?

2) What do I need to do to ensure that they will lay eggs?

3) Will they frequently try to escape the regular yard?

Thanks for answering. Any info is appreciated as I am very new to this.

clip only 1 wing and only the outer flight feathers and they should stay in the yard.
As far as will they try to escape mind do not. They have plenty of room to walk around and scratch around

Quote:
I highlighted my answers. Oh, and
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from NY!

Last edited:
Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
. To answer your questions, to make sure they use your coop, lock them in for a few days and they will recognize that this is their home
big_smile.png
. Have you added roosts and nest boxes yet?

Question 1: At ten weeks old, a lot of breeds can actually fly pretty good, but as long as they know their coop is home, they should stay close by. I stress should
big_smile.png
the four foot fence they could probably fly over without clipped wings, but it's a good deterrent. As long as they have stuff in the yard that they want to eat, and lots of room, they will probably be happy to stay in the fence. If you are going to clip the wings, I don't, search the old threads to make sure you clip them properly. They have blood feathers on certain areas on their wings you don't want to cut.

Question 2: you don't have to do much of anything for them to lay eggs
big_smile.png
Provide nest boxes, 1 or 2 and place golf balls in them and at about 5-6 months old they will know what to do!

Question 3: I think I covered that in question one
big_smile.png

Feel free to ask more questions, and search the old threads you will find tons of great info

Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom