New Owner Egg Laying Question!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JessicaFey, Apr 11, 2009.

1. JessicaFey

JessicaFey New Egg

Nov 17, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Hi! I have 6 hens my husband and I have been raising since their birth. While I was in DC last weekend, my husband called to say we received our first egg (of course it would be while I was out of town)! We think it was from Lady, our Buff Orpington because of the color (a light brown, kind of pinkish) and she was up there before rearranging the nest boxes and present when my husband found the egg. Our first egg was found on Saturday. I found another egg like the one AJ found with a green one (Our Easter Egger's first) on Monday. On Tuesday, I came home to find a slightly darker brown egg below the coop where the run is. It was my assumption that it belonged to Special Agent Jack Bauer (our jersey giant), but that could be totally off, she was next to it and the most vocal and that is rare for her.

Here's the problem. We haven't had any brown eggs since Tuesday. Foghorn, our EE has since laid 3 eggs after her first one. Should I be worried about whichever hen(s) has been laying the brown egg and the sudden stop in their production? All the chickens are active and seem well. Lady always runs up to the nesting boxes, but rearranges them... but that's about it.

Long post, sorry! I like to explain everything!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    When they first start laying they will be a little sparadic for awhile, no need to worry!

3. JessicaFey

JessicaFey New Egg

Nov 17, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Ah, that does make me feel better. We are one of the first in our area to have chickens, so there is really no one around here we can ask! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by