New owner has some questions

Discussion in 'Geese' started by seminolewind, Nov 29, 2013.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. I love my new Sebastapol pair! I've only had them 4 days. I had them in a coop with a ramp but they hated it, so I made them steps in front of a bigger door. My questions are:

How high does each step have to be? The coop is 16" off the ground.

Do I have to be concerned with Angel wing with 2 year olds?

The female is either carrying one wing lower or just has feathers longer and dragging on the ground. She has full use of it, and flaps both wings well.

Are flock pellets too high in protein for them? Or what would be ideal protein level? The grass is not much due to the time of the year. I've given them hay to munch on, Coastal, which is the most fine fine grass like hay.

How long will it take for them to be comfortable with me?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  2. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I don't know about steps.

No concern of angel wing in adults.

Not sure about the wing issue. Maybe a sebbie expert will be able to help.

I use a flock pellet and mix it 50/50 with oats to lower the protein.

It may take them a week or so to really get used to you.

Enjoy your new birds![​IMG]

Where are the pictures?[​IMG]

3. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, Flockman. I got the steps up and it works well. So much easier to put them away. I will also cut the protein with some oats. It's been 4 days since we got them, and I have had no chance to do anything but make sure they are safe and comfy. With the holiday and my poor neglected horse, LOL, and my mother and shopping, I've been getting it together piece by piece. Today they went out in the yard with the chickens. It was nice to let them wander around.

Hopefully on the weekend I will get things done and take pictures.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    What I'm talking about is she seems to have feathers on one side that touch the ground. I'll take pictures.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Well Hopefully RURU will come on and see your post she has Sebbies and will probably know exactly what may be going on.

7. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Hello and congrats on the new sebs!!! my pens are all on the ground so a far as having them off the ground I am not sure. But do NOT put wire on the bottom of the pen because it is bad for geese feet. It will cut them and then they will get bumble foot and that is a pain to take care of.

Angel wing is something that sebs get and it can come at any time depending on how the wing feathers come in each time. It does not hurt them so if you like you can trim them down so they do not hit on things. Do not worry about it this is part of what happen with Sebastopol's.

You want to feed a 16% all flock to them through out the winter. Then a breeding all flock during breeding and egg laying. Also offering your female oyster shell on the side in a separate dish so she can eat it as needed. I mix whole oats in with my all flock.

Give them a few weeks to get the routine down and find that you are the feed momma.

Any other questions just ask someone will get back to you.

1 person likes this.
  8. DoubletakeFarm

DoubletakeFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    NE Ohio
    Quote: Ruru, what do you mean by this? What would the protein level be?

9. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    In the winter months I keep my protein levels down to 15-16% mixing the oats with the Blue Seal Home Fresh Finisher. Then when breeding season comes I put them on regular feed just straight or you can put them on a higher protein feed 18 to 19%. Hope this helped you some.

10. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Pictures you asked for:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]