New Owner - Is this Fowl Pox?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Stangs55, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Stangs55

Stangs55 New Egg

Apr 15, 2017
    So we just finished our coop and my wife made it home with 6 new hens. We have never owned chickens before, so we're learning as we go.

We got these birds from our yard guy who knows a guy...

My wife tells me the conditions were pretty terrible where they were. She asked about these blacks dots and was told it was from fighting.

I think it's fowl pox...but the truth is either of us are only as smart as google allows us to be...

So what is this?
    I'm thinking about crating these guy up and taking them back today. I don't feel like starting off with sick chickens.

Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. captainbeer

captainbeer New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Hi stang. I'm new too, but those spots don't look good. I'm sure somebody can answer what that really is....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Lucyluvchickens

Lucyluvchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2017
    Dripping Springs, Texas
    It looks like fowl pox, but it could just be scabby if the hen is at the bottom of the pecking order. If she has fowl pox there's nothing you can do about it for is just like the regular human pox. it will go away and It doesn't kill them. But it if it is the wet fowl pox that means it goes down there trachea and can suffocate them and kill them and there's nothing you can do about that either. So if you hear wheezing gurgling and see any spots in the back of their throat then that's when you should start being alarmed and Isolate the chicken-but guess you should isolate her anyway so the disease doesn't spread [​IMG] There are vaccines that you can get them just like with humans but really it doesn't help. Every chicken person has to go through the fowl pox because it's just like a regular disease just like what humans get it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by