1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New owner needs advice on nesting

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Glenmar, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Hello All,
    I just got my IB pair in September. They are living in a 48 x 36 horse barn. They now have access to free range. They mostly stay in the barn.
    They have food and water in the barn. They roost in there at night. The male is tame enough to eat out of my hand. The female does not go very
    far from him. He follows me around when I do barn chores.

My question is : If I put a nest box in the barn with a fake egg in there, will she use it when the time comes? I can keep them shut up in there if I need to, but when
    should I start doing that. What are the chances that she will want to nest out of the barn.

[​IMG]

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    best to pen her if you want her to set her own eggs, setting peahens are easy prey....or if you want to gather the eggs, pen her until she lays in the barn, then leave the fake egg ,for her to return to the nest.

3. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Ok Thanks for the advice. One more stupid question. How do I know when to start closing up the barn. I am sure I will see the male displaying for her.
    Will I have to close it up from March- May?
    I know next to nothing about incubationg eggs. The guy that I got them from indicated that she would set her own eggs.

4. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    yes most of my peahens will set their eggs if i don't gather them......laying season for mine here are late april til aug. but if you don;t pull the eggs she should only lay one clutch and set them early.

5. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    I also will be hoping to get some eggs from my peahen this season. Peafowl eggs are very toucy to incubate i'm told so i'm thinking of letting my peahen incubate most of them herself. I'll try a few and see what happens. Any suggestions?[​IMG]

6. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes pull the first few clutches, try broody hens, incubators, you can alway let her try the 3 rd clutch of eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by