New owner to 2 8 wk old pullets - N. Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by eggsontoast, Dec 9, 2010.

1. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    Today I became a chicken owner! I acquired 8wk old Coronation Sussex and Black Orpington hens from a heritage breeder who was giving these away for $10/e because they didn't meet strict breed standards. I'm excited about the Sussex as it's a really rare breed. I'm hoping they'll warm up to me and my family...right now they seem very skittish and run to the back of the "coop" (an extra large dog travel kennel) when we approach. I'll keep the hens in the coop for 3 days and then I'm going to put them out in my "chicken tractor", a large metal wire dog crate with the bottom cut out. I'm not handy with the tools AT ALL--the best I can do is re-purpose something that's already been built. As much as I'd love to let the hens free range around my backyard, I worry that they'd be picked off by hawks. Do you think it would be alright to let them free range for a couple hrs a day when my 2 kids are outside with them?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    welcome eggsontoast Where in North Fla are you I am in Taylor county They should be OK if you are in the yard with them My chickens freerange all the time and I have not had any problems but I do have dogs running the property. Welcome again

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio.

5. eggsontoast

eggsontoast Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    North Atlanta suburbs
    Quote:In Tallahassee. I'm thinking of letting them freerange when someone could be with them once they're a little older. Right now they're small and if they run/fly all over the yard, I could have a hard time putting them back in the coop when I'm ready to go back inside!

6. henhound

henhound Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2010
    Orangevale, CA
    [​IMG] & congrats!!!

7. misschickenlittle

misschickenlittle REALLY wants a new title

Oct 30, 2010
    Missouri
    [​IMG] from Missouri!

8. Penny3

Penny3 New Egg

Nov 17, 2010
    I'm from Tampa, Florida and have 3 freerange chickens in my yard.
    I leave them out all day and put them up at night in a large wire dog crate with hay on the bottom.
    I was worried about the hawks, but notice that they spot anything flying overhead and run for cover. They have access to the kitty door and sometimes come onto the porch.
    They spend the whole day looking for bugs, eating grass and shuffling their feet. The can enjoy being chickens!!
    I have 3 babies that are too small to leave alone in the yard right now...Those I worry more about, with the hawks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by