New Owner to a Baby Ringneck Dove... ANY ADVICE WELCOMED!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by siowowo, Aug 22, 2016.

1. siowowo

siowowo Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    Hello Everyone!

I hand-raised a finch when I was a kid and had an incredible bond with the bird. (I used to play hide-and-go-seek with my finch.. I would go in a room at random and clap, and the bird would come around looking for me.) It's been 20 years since that special finch, and I really miss that bond. My husband and I have been looking for a baby Ringneck Dove. We answered to a Craigslist ad, and picked up a baby (approximately 2 weeks old) from an over-crowded coop on Saturday. He started eating seeds on his own and flew for the first time on Sunday.

I have a few questions... at what age should I start giving Deedo a bath? I read fruits and vegetables are good for doves - when should I start offering those? Deedo is able to pick up seeds with great precision (I am very impressed!) and seems healthy, but do I need to do any preventative care for lice and mites?

We have been doing a lot of research but it's our first time being dove parents - any tips and advice will be so greatly appreciated! I have attached a couple photos of Deedo. Thank you soooo much for reading this, guys!

Best,
    Nancy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. siowowo

siowowo Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    Also, I'm keeping the bird in an indoor cage. I currently line the bottom with paper towel and then newspaper torn into 1/4" x 4" strips. Is there any recommendation on the bedding? Thanks again guys!

Nancy

4. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  5. siowowo

siowowo Just Hatched

Aug 22, 2016
    Thanks again for your helpful insight, Hokum Coco!
    I unfortunately spotted some lice on Deedo. I read that a warm bath with a bit of dish soap followed by a rinse with a couple drops of vinegar will remedy the situation. I tried it the other day, and did see some dead lice floating in the water. I hope the lice problem goes away after a few more baths. I gave the dove some chopped peanuts as a treat, and it did love it! :D

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by