New owner to Chickens and Ducks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cdesplin, Jun 28, 2016.

1. cdesplin

cdesplin New Egg

Jun 28, 2016
    Hello Everyone,

I have had my chicks and ducklings since March of 2016. They are now Chickens, Rosters and Ducks. Wow do they grow fast, especially the Ducks. I am excited to learn so much more about how to raise great egg layers. Any new advice would be welcomed.

Thank you,
    cdesplin

2. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi;

Glad you have joined BYC. I don't have any advice for you as I am also raising my first flock, chickens only. I agree about the quick rate of growth. I am only half joking when I call them my velociraptors. I am interested to learn about the ducks. One of my sons has been having a terrible time with grasshoppers. He was told ducks are absolutely the best grasshopper control. What are your thoughts? Thx.

3. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Welcome to BYC....check out the learning center and also forums for all kinds of info.
    As for grasshoppers, @uncertainty, chickens also love grasshoppers. Chasing them is my girls' favorite sport ...

4. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi SueT;

Thanks for that, I had wondered if the chickens would be good at insect control. The chickens are in a roofed run this year for safety.

My pups are only 6 months old and are complete boneheads. I don't think the pups would deliberately kill the chicks but they would certainly chase them and potentially squish them with their giant newf paws. The dogs weigh about 60 - 70 pounds now, lots big enough to get into all kinds of trouble, no chance they are smart enough to get out of trouble.

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    Sounds great - I never had ducks but I've had chickens for four years and its been an excellent experience. Best of luck with your new flock!

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hi Sue, great to meet you. Thank you for joining us at Backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by