New owner with ex-caged hens in the UK

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nikkihinton90, May 1, 2017.

1. nikkihinton90

nikkihinton90 New Egg

May 1, 2017
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just picked up 4 hens yesterday as you can see they are a bit worse for wear as ex "enriched cage" hens...
    So just saying hi! I need 4 names, and hopefully I can post an update in future when they are all settled in and being normal chickens!
    I got 2 eggs this morning which was a nice surprise! Neither in the nesting box though which they were sleeping in instead... guess they are used to tight spaces!
    Oh I'm Nikki and I'm based in Richmond London.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi Nikki and welcome to BYC. Your new gals must be very confused at the moment, but it a good way. Here's a link to a search on ex-battery hens - https://www.backyardchickens.com/newsearch?search=ex+batt+hens - there may, or may not be something interesting in the threads there.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining the UK thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/655508/uk-member-please-say-hi/890

All the best
    CT

3. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Nikki [​IMG] Welcome!

Kudos to you for giving the girls a second chance at a great life [​IMG]

I have some name suggestions if you do not mind that they are not specifically female? Seen as they ‘escaped’ some famous escapees are:

Alfred Hinds .. you could go with Alfie
    Pascal Payet .. Pascal is a nice name I think?
    Two members of the Texas Seven who escaped from John Connally were named Harper and Murphy; I like both of those for chickens?

Our coop has a naming theme in that all our gals are named after female singers. Is there something else you like doing or participating in? You could pick some names based on an interest or pastime.

Anyways, just something to ponder.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share more pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  4. BY Bob

BY Bob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2016
    Hershey, PA
    Welcome. It is wonderful seeing you give these girls another chance. Teila, my wife has named ours after singers as well. I think it's fun to have a theme. Maybe Characters from a favorite book or movie. Mostly I would love to see pictures and hear stories of your girls as they adapt to their new life. Please keep sharing and god bless you for taking them in.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

6. nikkihinton90

nikkihinton90 New Egg

May 1, 2017
    Hi Everyone! Thanks for the friendly welcome! 3 of the 4 hens have settled in nicely and are slowly getting used to me, and the idea of coming in and out of the coop in the morning and evening. One of the girls though (smallest, most feather loss) is not really getting it and looks pretty traumatised! She refuses to go in the coop, stands and stares into the distance and is being picked on by the others :(
    She did grab a bit of spinach out my hand earlier which was encouraging but then she pecked me really hard earlier as I tried to get her in the coop.
    She is still out now and i'm waiting for the bf to get back to put her away as i'm a massive woos and scared she will bite me now :( don't laugh too hard at me haha.
    We have picked some names: Hei hei (from moana) for the small featherless one who doesn't quite get it, Elvis for one with a big floppy comb, pink for the one with a mohawky comb (singer as well) and big boss for the lady who thinks shes the business.

So everything I read is all "just pick up your chicken and pet it"
    My chickens are terrified of me/ my hands/ movement and will peck anything that gets too close. I can sit still in the run and they will slowly come closer but if I move or touch them they peck or run away or both.
    I'm trying to get them used to the idea that people are nice and bring yummy food so hopefully that will help. They now know what leafy greens are!
    Or am I massively over thinking this and do they just need to be picked up by someone who is not a scaredey cat?

Second thing is my dog is really really keen on the hens with some serious collie stare. I am trying to work on training her to ignore them. Any tips aside from distracting with yummy treats and rewarding her looking away? So far we have got her to keep eye contact with us- on lead outside, but with the hens out of sight round the corner. feels like a long way to go yet...

7. BY Bob

BY Bob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2016
    Hershey, PA
    When we first got my leghorn Daisy as a pullet it was clear she had no human contact. I could not get within 10 feet of her without trying to fly away. it took 6 months of just sitting in the run with her and feeding her snacks (Cheese Its and mealy worms).

Cheese Its were the best because I could lure her in by throwing one to her and then dropping them closer and closer until she would take one from my hand.

Now she is so friendly. This past Saturday she jumped into the lap of stranger as we sat on the deck, just to say HI.

It is all about patience and being seen as nonthreatening. They will come around. Spend time just being with them. Don't grab and manhandle them. Let them come to you.

This has worked for me with all my girls.

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  8. timon

timon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2016
    Loughborough, UK

One of ours got called Plucky !
    Not because she was bald - yours do look quite ropey though I've seen worse - but she was the most adventurous and I felt like she was the most determined to get used to her new life.
    Well done for giving them a second chance and hopefully a happy retirement.

9. nikkihinton90

nikkihinton90 New Egg

May 1, 2017

thanks for this you've reassured me that the slow and steady approach is best! It's what you do with dogs and cats so why any different for a chicken?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by