1. Brian Kern

Brian Kern New Egg

Jul 31, 2013
    guys

enjoy this website and it is very informative. my question I have 6 hens and a rooster in a 10x20 old dog run can not let them free range due to neighbors. Is this enough space as I am looking at adding 2 layers. Out of the 6 hens only 2 are laying so i am getting concerned (got them end of march). I feed them laying crumbles and scrapes from the garden also put grass clipings in.

advise please!!!!!

2. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    Be patient. The others will start laying soon. 200 square feet....plenty of room. You could even go upwards of 20 chickens.

3. chynasparks

chynasparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2013
    Texas
    I have 4 pullets, 13 weeks. We built a 4x8x6 enclosure as we can't let them free range either. I think you have plenty of room. My peeps have been in the coop we built 4 days. They have been in a wire dig kennel until we finished building the coop. So my girls are so happy right now because they have never had this much room. They have a ladder taking them to the 4x3 nest box above the run. (2 level enclosure). I can tell you how happy I am to see them fluttering about in this coop. Soon I will be making a movable chicken run to give them more intertainment. I have a family if hawks that reared in my yard, a neighbor that thinks its ok to let their hunting dogs run the area, and I live right smack behind our police/city hall. I think my girls have entry of room but I think my run idea us important because they need to forage. Good luck on your set up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by