New Parakeet!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Kaybug137, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Kaybug137

Kaybug137 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    Hi. I got a Parakeet about 4 months old from a petstore, hes not tame at all, how do I tame him and get him to love me? Also its cold outside with no heater inside so its rather cold inside like see breath kind of cold.. That wont harm him will it? Hes also molting, and his name is Sorren. Hes a quiet little guy until I turn on either his favorite song or birds chirping then he goes wild and chats to the birds on the laptop XD! hes a cutie! This is my first parakeet. I had chickens and ducks and guineafowl a few years ago. Also and what sort of treats can I give him, like fruits veggies, and can he have saltine crackers? and or noodles?

2. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
  3. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Since this is his first few days at your house he will be a little wild. You have the option of clipping his wings or not to. This keeps their attention on you instead of thinking of flying away. The taming process takes a lot of patience because it is filled with trial and error as the bird will try to fly away. (Mine did when I first got him) I remember having to spend a lot of time with him whenever I could. I started with the step up, step down technique where I put pressure right above the feet and did this until he stepped up. I held him for a short while and then put him back. This was all done in an enclosed room where I could catch him easily. It was very important that in order to tame mine I took him to any room I went in to and let him be part of my social activities whether it'd be the dinner table or my bed to watch television. It didn't take that long for mine to become tame and happy. The first night he reacted the same way when I put on some parakeet chirping it was because the transition from being a flock bird to a lone bird affected him but he adjusted perfectly.

4. chasiekitten12

chasiekitten12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    Oh about it being cold...
    at night put a nice thick (or so) blanket over his cage.
    Try to keep it a bit warmer then it is during the day.
    He will be ok.

5. Kaybug137

Kaybug137 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    Texas
    His wings are clipped. I've got a little proggress every once and a while he will keep still for me to pet his chest and wings. Hes nipped at me a few times I backed off for a few moments. Hes perched on my finger a few times as well. but he still is flighty and hops away. I think I am going to move my TV which is right next to my bed, and place his cage there while hes out during the day, so he is okay with my being close. I've tried placing my finger over his feet if he stays still and saying "up up" He just pretty much gives the "Stay away from me" Attitude and jumps away. Also he doesn't chirp a lot, unless I either play a game, and hes squacking at the noises and or likes the menu music, he also chirps along with audio of birds chirping which is pretty darn cute. He still will not eat out of my hand.

6. chick-adee

chick-adee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2015
    Might be back...
    ation. I'm planing to get a blue parakeet this October, and want to know as much as I can! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by