New Peafoul Mama....Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by praejones, Sep 11, 2015.

1. praejones

praejones Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2015
    Hello, I am a brand new Mama of two peachicks. I have wanted a Peacock most of my adult life and finally live in a place where I can give the best home for them. I am so excited to have them but I would like to know if someone can please help me with gender? As I said I am brand new at this and welcome any help I can get. The two that we have are very sweet. My 11 year old loves them and has really stwpped up in helping me with them and they seem to love him as they run to him when they see him coming to the pen. Here they are. We have not named them yet and just call them babies because we don't know what they are. Feel free to give your opinion.
    [​IMG]

2. praejones

Sep 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

3. praejones

Sep 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

4. praejones

Sep 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

5. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    It looks like a cock on the right and a hen on the left based on this photo.

6. Birdrain92

Birdrain92 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 7, 2013
    Idaho
    Here's a picture of 2 peachicks my hen hatched out when the chicks were three weeks old.
    [​IMG] Male in front, female in back. These are 3 week old Indian Blue peachicks.

7. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    You might need to treat them for coccidiosis soon, try to get Corid (amprolium) asap. When you first move babies to the ground it's always good to treat them. Usually it's in feed stores in goat section.

Or if your into homeopathy and have oregano oil on hand it will work fine as well, just always be careful dosing a bird orally with anything and make sure it's diluted.
    I thought the one that looked a little hunched I found worrisome. :(

Oh and I forgot to say welcome to the peaworld!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  8. praejones

Sep 11, 2015
    Thank you! He was laying next to her not hunched.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC and the peafowl forum!

-Kathy

10. praejones

Sep 11, 2015
    Thank you! Trying to figure out gender of my 6 to 8 week babies??? Help please

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by