New peafowl need help

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by lionkitty71, Mar 4, 2013.

1. lionkitty71

lionkitty71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Southeast Iowa
    I just got my very first peacock this weekend. Doesn't have much color and not sure if its a Male or female. Can anyone help me on that and maybe what type of coloring or pea it tis? Was told its a mix.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Congratulations! I've only ever seen IB and white, but it looks male to me. As for color, I have no clue!

3. Looks cameo Blackshoulder peacock to me but it would have to be young. If it were spalding as well it could be a hen. Looks a little to dark to be cameo bs hen. Need a picture in more natural light.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  4. lionkitty71

lionkitty71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Southeast Iowa
    Thanks. I was thinking maybe part cameo too... I was so excited to get him.... We are working on his pen so in a doge kennel for now..

5. pedda munnangi

pedda munnangi Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2012
    Looks like a cameo male. Here are a few pictures. A cameo juvenile male 9 mo. old. and a bunch of Cameos, with a peach hen in the front, Cameo split peach pied male right next to it and a bunch of cameos juvenile male and female. In the last picture the middle one is a juvenile bronze. A two yr old Cameo split peach pied struuting[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  6. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I agree it looks like it has bars on it's feathers but then the photo is a bit dark where the photo is taken.

A photo of it in natural lighting once it gets settled in would be most helpful.
    [​IMG]

7. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    I thought it looked like a hen, I'll never get this sexing thing right.

8. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    [​IMG] we gota learn some how!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by