new peas

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by birdbrain5, Jan 24, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    just got a pair of 6 month old peas, just looking for a little info about them. ive read they are not to be housed with chickens, is it ok if they are in a stall next to them? the wall between is just about totally solid except a foot from the cieling, but its wired so they cant get in with eachother. is this ok? what are the signs of blackhead and has anyone had any problems with that?
    i see some people free range, and also have other birds (ducks, geese, guineas, chickens) free ranging in the same yard, i thought this was a no-no because of blackhead? eventually i would like to free range them while im around outside, i usually only let my chickens and guineas out in the afternoons because the hawks arent around as much by then. is this possible to do or not ok because they will be ranging in the same area as chickens and guineas?
    also- can guineas be housed with them or is this not good either?

thanks!

2. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    B B 5.. There is quite a lot of discussion on black head.. (HISTOMONIASIS ) Blackhead is the main reason that it is recommended to keep them seperated as the chickens can live with it OK but it will kill peafowl. It is not an air borne problem, in fact the blackhead can come from earthworms just as easy.. One of the problems is when the birds are mixed in confinement and people dont have a serious worming program on pen worming. In the free range they always do better,, better looking, better health , less problems. except losses of birds to varmits and you dont know who breeds who.. Of all the birds I have cut open I have only seen one case of B H that I could I.D.. once you see it you can recognize it quickly. It makes spots on the liver and there will be a sort of cacoon thing close by, maybe other things as it has been some time since then .. If you worm and use Metronidazale ( fish zole at walmart ) this will treat the black head. A very good book on game bird health was done by Dr. L. Dwight Schwartz. It is still available from the United Peafowl Association web site. If you save only one bird with this info it will pay for the book. If your interested and need help please contact me and I think I can get them from DR. Schwartz wife. connerhills

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  3. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    id be interested in the book if its not too too much money. does it cover just peas or others like guineas ducks turkeys etc?
    thanks

4. connerhills

connerhills Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2009
    The book "Growers Reference on Gamebird Health " covers most if not all health problems in gamebirds ( this includes some info on waterfowl. It is about 350 pages in a soft cover ( about 8 x 10 ) It was written by Dr. Schwartz who was a good friend of the United Peafowl Association and was generous with his help. The book can be order from...Avicon,Inc. @ 3871 Sandlewood ......Okemos, MI. 48864-3627 . The cost is $33.45 and this includes postage paid to your address. connerhills

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by