new pekin owner - questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cmelancon89, Jan 1, 2017.

1. cmelancon89

cmelancon89 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2017
    Hi everyone! I got a male and female pekin duck Christmas eve. The previous owner told us that the female lays an egg a day and she lays them all over. Over the next four days she laid an egg a day, in random places, and i'd collect them and place them in her nest. She has gone in the nest and covered them very well with the hay. She has not laid in the last three days and I never see her in the nest, or the male breeding her (but I dont exactly stare at them all day either). I'm feeding them chicken scratch and they have a good sized yard that they roam and peck at grass and such as the please. Do i need to feed them something different? Should she be laying an egg every day? Would it be best to get an incubator and put the eggs in there? Any info or advice is greatly appreciated :) Oh just a little extra info, they share their yard with 10 chickens but they all seem to get along pretty good. Their previous owner had them with chickens as well.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Ducks do not lay continuously every day like chickens, well, some do, but not all. Once it got cold out, we stopped getting eggs.

3. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    We feed our geese scratch only because they don't care for all flock feed.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    From Purina Mills web site - "Scratch Grains is a grain supplement, not a complete feed and should not comprise more than 10% of the birds’ diet."

If she is laying, she needs a layer feed with free choice crushed oyster shell on the side. Some folks use a flock raiser and free choice oyster shell if there is a drake, but my drake seems fine on layer.

Pekins do not lay every day, but age also affects how often a duck lays. Also being moved can slow down egg production.

5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    My ducks lay continuously, EVERY day( And its not the tropics here[​IMG]). My chickens....not so much. LOL

Hope that helps some!

1 person likes this.
  6. cmelancon89

Jan 1, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the info :)

7. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    You've been given excellent advice. The only thing I would add is that if you ever do want baby pekins you will either have to get a broody, another breed of duck which does go broody or even a large fowl chicken (Ducks usually take 28 days to hatch, chickens 21.) or get yourself an incubator. Pekins will not hatch eggs. We had the breed for years trying to hatch some but to no avail. Some would set on their nest for a long time, a few days, a week, two weeks, even close to three weeks and they one day they would just decide to up and leave and go to the bond and that was the end of their nest. So pekins periods of broodiness were slim to none, never lasted long enough to hatch eggs.
    We finally got pekin babies by giving their eggs to a Muscovy mother, a breed that will brood eggs. ON the plus side they did lay big beautiful tasty eggs.
    So I suggest you either collect the eggs and enjoy eating them or if you want babies get an incubator or find a good broody who will hatch them.

8. cmelancon89

Jan 1, 2017
    I got a incubator this morning. I'm not sure if my four eggs are still good but I'm going to give it a try. They are 8,7,6 and 5 days old. They have also been sitting outside in the nest all this time but the weather has been pretty mild. For future reference though, how long can I keep them before incubating and how do I store them. Do I clean them before incubating? They aren't really dirty

9. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I've kept for a week, but I believe you can keep longer. I store large size up in a carton in the basement where it is cool, and turn them 3X a day. It's best not to clean, leave the coating on, it protects the egg, but if you feel the egg is dirty or muddy you can use a dry sponge, the scrubby kind with netting over to gently brush the dirt off. I don't like to wet eggs I am going to hatch (and yes, I realize outside in the nest they may get rained on, but I figure the less I touch them, the better.) Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  10. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Hello....Are you having success?...........This is my first time also incubating eggs.....I almost fainted seeing my Duckling embryo bouncing around it the egg......Best of luck......I hope it works for you....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by