New Pen! Pictures and Video

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by Kedreeva, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    We finally got the netting in for the new pen. I got them all moved in and I've been so busy I haven't had time to take new pictures, but I will do so soon. I figured I would share some pictures of the in progress pen.

Here's the former "door" to the area. When we started, we had only the barn wall, the gate, and the closest wall of fencing. There was some cattle fence along the far side (I say was but it's still there), but it was just a few wooden planks. We picked up a 10x8x6 paneled kennel ($10 a panel!) and a 10x10x6 paneled kennel ($125, but it was in much better shape) to complete the walls. Then we used a 13x8x6 (wth?) kennel that was not paneled to create part of the far wall and give us a place to separate injured or sick birds. That was also where the kids were being held while this construction went down.
    [​IMG]

Here's the side view. It's a 30x30 pen, and the tarped area is the separation bit. The wooden spool in the center is both a perch and a support for the PVC pipe we used to hold the threaded wire we tented the netting roof with- gave them a lot of clearance above! You can barely see them, but the wooden uprights became 5.5' perches, and there's a truck camper hood we used as a shelter for the rain (and they used it in the storm 2 nights ago! Good birds!). There's also a broken down doghouse on the left that I repaired and left for nesting.
    [​IMG]

The back view- we added a second gate to the left, which became the only gate when we wired on the roof. There's the kids in their holding cell.
    [​IMG]

The other side of the holding pen from inside the new pen. You can see the wire we used for the roof there, and one of the uprights we later made perches from.
    [​IMG]

Turning around from the previous picture, there's the perches, the doghouse, and the shelter- and the big barn in the background. I planted yellow squash underneath the perches- may as well not waste the fertilizer that will surely accrue!
    [​IMG]

Of all the things in the pen, they love this thing the best. I can't say why, but they choose this to roost on usually instead of the high perches. I think my birds are broken [​IMG] The black thing under the camper top is a garden bin. It got filled with soft shavings and diatomaceous earth for them to dust bathe in. Osiris loves it, the others are not so sure.
    [​IMG]

And here's the scary looking doghouse. I cleaned out the inside, filled it with fresh shavings (and will put straw in soon), pulled off the loose bits of the roof, and hammered on some new boards for them. I left part of the side open instead of putting on new boards, so it can vent some heat in the summer.
    [​IMG]

Taking a break from wiring up the netting for them, eating some chilled watermelon while we worked.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And for fun, I figured I'd show off Osiris once more [​IMG] This is how it goes whenever I go into their pen- I have to practically trip over her to get inside, and once I'm there whatever I am doing is most certainly her business and won't I please pet her. And there's Octavian (the opal), Kail (the blue who will be gone shortly), and Lilly (the hen) in the background.

I will post pictures of the pen all finished when I get a chance!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  2. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    That looks really good! How do you go about moving them? I got a bunch of free netting and so I am building a bigger pen. How did you move the peacocks?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    How I move them probably won't work for anyone else, since mine mostly just let me walk right up to them. For everyone but Osiris and Blu, I just grab quick around their legs and turn them upside down- they flap around for a second or two, but they calm right down, and I can flip them over and carry them under one arm where ever I need to. Once I have them under my arm they don't struggle. For Blu I just stand next to him and put my arm over him and pick him up. He complains (pik pikpik!) but lets me do it. Osiris just rides my arm.

The only one I have trouble with is Lilly, she is very new and I didn't raise her from a chick and neither did anyone else. The way I catch her is to walk slowly, speak softly, and corral her into a corner of the pen. When she's got nowhere to go side to side, she'll try to go up, and that's when I just lunge and pin over the wings until she calms down. But I'm super fast and I've been catching birds by hand since I was a little kid, so I know all their tricks and when to let them get away if it's not going to a safe and successful attempt.

The way you SHOULD do it is to get a bird net. http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/poultry-catchers.html Something like that. A lot of people use them, and I understand they are fairly easy and safe. When you fetch the bird out of the net, there are several ways to carry them. You can carry them by the legs (only if you are holding them high on the leg, at or above the ankle joint (not the foot joint, and with 1 hand, never two, by both legs, never one), by the wings (watch the feet if you do this), or wrap one arm around the wings and hold their legs with the other (least amount of struggle ability, but will pretty much take two people to get into position).

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. Anything will work good luck. [​IMG]

5. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    Your Osiris reminds me of my Cricket! [​IMG]

6. Kedreeva

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    Quote:[​IMG] She's my baby girl... Someday when she's older she will give me babies and they will be just as curious as she is! I wonder if she hatched them herself if she would bring the babies to me :eek:

7. C&Rman

C&Rman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2011
    Nevada
    I have a big bird net I was just trying to see which way would be easiest. I can pet one of my peahens when she is on her perch and the male almost eats out of my hand, the other peahen I caught wild so I will have no choice but to use the net on her.

8. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    Very nice pen setup!
    Your Osiris reminds me of my Vishnu.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by