1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New pet duck owner...help!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mive16211, May 29, 2016.

1. mive16211

mive16211 New Egg

May 29, 2016
    I have 4-week old ducklings that are about to go outside full-time. My plan was to just let them have full reign in my backyard, but I'm getting a little worried now. I'm not a farmer, nor do I live on a farm. I'm worried seeing how much they've already made a mess of the places I've put them in the yard during the day (Poop, food, water, etc). I want to be able to go out into my backyard and not sit in duck poop. With your experience with pet ducks, does their poop eventually go away? Or is it going to be in the grass "forever" like having a dog, and should I decide not to let them have full reign in my yard, and have a place fenced off just for them? What would your suggestions be on this? I need help!

2. Happy Quack

Happy Quack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2016
    It will go away, but it take a little while. You could also take a hose and hose it away.

3. Chicken Egg 17

Chicken Egg 17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2015
    McVeytown PA
    Hi and welcome to BYC I am glad you could join us i would go and try to just fence them off a but as we have a duck park here with wild ducks that can go and leave when they want but come back because everyone feeds them bread in the area. And anyways the poop is just every where and it dosnt seem to go away unless it rains to wash it away some.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Flock Master Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by