1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New pet fish :p

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by silkiechicken, Jun 18, 2008.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Meet Oto the Oto! He's 1/6. Not that I know he's a he, but all 3/4 inch of his little self sure likes algae!

[​IMG]

2. WisconsinChick

WisconsinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Cute! [​IMG]

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I love fish, there is something about them that just calms me! [​IMG]

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Awwwww....he is adorable!!!!

5. texasreb

texasreb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    I love otos, but the water conditions where I live make them extremely fraglie and delicate. I've never gotten one to live to it's full potential lifespan.

Hopefully, yours will not give you much grief. You sure have a nice specimen!

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Lovely! [​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    What does "oto" stand for? When I used to work at a pet store (in high school), we called them algae-eaters.

Nice looking fish, for sure.

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I hope they do ok here too. They are getting fat and adjusted in no time flat. All have round bellys now vs their skinny ones in the pet store with algaeless and plantless tanks. An oto is short for Otocinclus. There are "chinese algae" eaters and a few others that look very similar.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/species.php?species_id=106

I chose this type because I was putting them into a 20 gallon tank and didn't want to overstock them. Their max size is 1-1.5 inches. Lots of people get common plecos as cute 1 inch lengths at first, but with an adult size of 24 inches, the average set up really can't handle them appropriately.

9. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Just a note of caution, I used to have a couple of those. And they are NOT vegetarians. They would go around attacking the other fish in the tank sucking on thier scales and whatnot. They can be very aggressive.

Plecos, on the other hand, are very very peaceful. Even when they are really really big lol

10. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Here's what an aquarium site had to say about them:
    When young, the Chinese Algae Eater does fine in a community aquarium, busily going about its business of greedily foraging algae from the glass sides of the tank, the plants, the substrate, and any decor. When it gets older however, it can start to defend a territory and can continually harass tankmates. Adult specimens are often best kept alone.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by