New pet pigeon vomited??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Doveheart, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Doveheart

Doveheart Out Of The Brooder

Feb 4, 2012
    I got a pet pigeon this morning from a bird swap. I let her roam free in this closed off, empty room I had, she did some flying laps then settled down. As I was watching her on her perch, she suddenly shook her head and made some really strange head movements. Then she threw up a few mouths full of whole seeds.

I'm a new pigeon owner and I afraid she may be sick. Is this normal for a pigeon? What should I do?

Thank you!

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Sounds like stress to me. With the change in environment, I would keep her quiet and in a smaller space to give her time to adjust. Give her some quiet time in a covered dog crate or something similar and spend some time just talking to her and feeding her treats until she can adjust to the move.

3. Doveheart

Feb 4, 2012
    Okay...thank you for the info.

Right now I have her in the cage in my bedroom, the door is closed from the rest of the house so it's very quiet in there. I will give her an hour or so to rest and take in the sunlight, then I will go in and try to talk to her.

I will keep you guys updated if she throws up again or has other problems.

Thank you!

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't think pigeons eat seeds, don't they eat stuff like chicken feed? She will probably be fine.

5. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs

Pigeons can eat seeds. [​IMG]

@Doveheart What are you feeding her? Can you post a pic? How is she doing now?

6. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    How is she doing now?

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida

8. ThePigeonKid

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Cool! Do you have some pics of them that you can post? [​IMG]

9. Doveheart

Feb 4, 2012
    Hey guys. update;

The pigeon seems to not be eating or drinking. :( I handled her this afternoon and her breast bone can be felt through her chest, it's sharp. (As in, defined) So I forcefed her some little squirts of water to see if that would help, or at the very least, get some water in her system.

I also bought two ring neck doves from the bird show that day. I've witness both eat and drink, but, one, (not sure what gender) is getting a pronounced breast bone like the pigeon too. Another thing I notice is that both doves are missing some toenails (were like that when I got them, btw) which makes it hard for them to get a grip when perching sometimes.

I feed them a tiny bit of grit mixed in with this Finch and Canary seed feed. And fresh water each day.

Should I be doing something differently :( I don't want the poor birds to die,..'specially by my actions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by