New Pet Turkey Owner!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mjbws, Jun 17, 2016.

1. mjbws

mjbws Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2016
    Hi everyone! What a great site!!! I never thought in a million years that I would have a pet turkey, but here I am writing this with my Ginger sleeping contently on my lap! It all started with my eleven-year-old vegan daughter wanting to rescue a broad-breasted from being someone's Thanksgiving dinner. Now I'm wondering why more people don't have these incredible birds as pets! We've had her ... well, I think she's a her ... since day one. She's incredibly spoiled and extremely attached to us. My husband lost out, and now she roams mainly indoors as part of the family, like a house dog or cat would. "She" has a very cute pink chicken coop with run in our backyard but prefers to be always with us. I'm looking forward to sharing other pet turkey tips and stories with everyone![​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Aww...that is the cutest thing ever!! [​IMG] Most people don't know it, but poultry are very affectionate and love human interaction. I have seen it with all my flocks and parrots. Birds love to be loved!

You will definitely want to share your pics and stories in this thread on house chickens..(others keep turkeys inside the house in this thread too!).... https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/299187/people-with-house-chickens

You might also stop by our Turkey section to for more Turkey talk and sharing... https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys

Enjoy this darling bird and we do welcome you to our flock! :)

3. mjbws

mjbws Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2016
    Thank you so much!!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock! All I can say is [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    We have members that keep house chickens, house ducks, house geese, why not house turkeys? Good luck with that darling turkey poult, hope it is a girl - just because I think female any things are much sweeter.

1 person likes this.
  7. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    I am so happy you joined us here at BYC and I would like to formally welcome you to our roost all the best of luck!
    Justin [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by