New pet

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 2cool4you, Aug 22, 2010.

1. 2cool4you

2cool4you Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2010
    This is my new short tailed opossum Oscar.

[​IMG]

2. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    lol funny i was talking about getting one of these on byc chat before

3. 2cool4you

Jul 5, 2010
    I have 2 now. Germs my little girl. She's high strung and not cuddly. And now Oscar who is very cuddly.

4. Barred Rocks forever

Barred Rocks forever Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    maryland
    and they get along what kind of cage do you keep the in ? what do u feed them ?

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Very cute. Thank you for sharing.

6. 2cool4you

Jul 5, 2010
    Oh no they don't live together. Germs hates Oscar. In fact they are hard to breed because they tend to try and kill each other while mating in captivity. You have to give them a big cage with lots of hidey places to keep them from being too violent. And the females only come into heat when they are with the males. So they have to be with a male for like 2 weeks or so for a successful breeding to occur.

Germs is in a large rabbit cage that I covered with hardware cloth so she can't squeeze out through the bars. It's 3 feet by 3 feet. It has curly willow branches in so she can climb and she has a chinchilla wheel mounted on the side. She lives in a little birdhouse my neighbor made for her with toilet paper for nesting material. The substrate is aspen. Pine tends to cause hair loss in STOs.

Oscar is in a 55 gallon tank with a wooden top secured by velcro tabs. It has holes drilled in the top for ventilation. His tank again has aspen and he has curly willow branches to climb and a large piece of driftwood to climb on. His house is a coconut shell with toilet tissue. I like to watch them gather the tp pieces in their tails and take them back to their houses. Oscar also has a mouse wheel. It's really too small I think but it came with him and he likes it. I'm going to try and get a larger one for him so he has more room to run.

As for diet I have them on blue buffalo dry cat food and a teaspoon of wet catfood a day. Then I have a mixture of sugar glider kibble and fruit and seeds. But their favorite foods are insects. They love roaches, superworms, meal worms, crickets, earthworms and will eat pinkie mice. I only feed mine crickets and super worms because roaches creep me out and meal worms are too high in chitin and I worry about blockages. They LOVE watermelon. They go nuts for it. They are omnivores so I try to offer a balanced diet of munchies and crunchies. :)

7. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    i have been thinking seriously about getting one! i have a 40 gallon breeder tank which is wider than a normal 40 gallon. would this work out for one of them you think?

8. 2cool4you

Jul 5, 2010
    I'm sure a 40 gallon would be fine. I know some people that keep them in 10 gallons. I like to offer as much room as possible. They are arboreal animals and like to climb and hunt. I tuck superworms into hidden treat rocks and crevices in their branches for them to find. They have great fun.

9. stumble_n_mumble

stumble_n_mumble Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    that is awesome. i live in ny. where could i possibly find them?

10. 2cool4you

Jul 5, 2010
    I've seen them in some pet stores, craigslist, and I adopted mine from the humane society. Some people label them as a Kachita. I've seen some ads on Hoobly. Some people will ship them but I don't know that I would trust that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by