new phone scam...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by kareninthesun, Nov 27, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    tis the season i guess, but this one i think was hoping for quick responses before getting caught: phone rings. my answer machine picks up THEIR automated message. Sunday morning, making it seem like their office is closed. message left: we are sorry we missed you. We have sent numerous mailings to your residence about your card. this is the last attempt you will receive before forwarding to our legal department. please respond by leaving your name, csrd number and social security number for verification within the next five hours.....nowhere was the "card" mentioned by name; nor was my name mentiined, the business mentioned by name. i owe no money, but called just to see what happened. no surprise, the dame thing with no names attached, promising to call back ss soon as verification was done on Monday.

never ever fall for these things!!! never give ss numbers, card numbers, or even your mom's maiden name...geesh!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Wow the nerve of some people! [​IMG] . So many innocent people would probably believe that and have their identities stolen.

3. RaZ

RaZ Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Apr 20, 2011
    Caseville, MI
    My mom got the same call a few days ago. Fortunately I was there when the call came in and I told her not to respond.
    She is getting old and I worry that she'll give out impotant information to the wrong people. (Like when she gave my number to an ex-wife)

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I would never return a call from someone I don't know, just as I do not open an email from someone I don't know.

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    A few years ago the mail for a deceased friend was sent to me to take care of. I received a bill from a collection agency for her that looked exactly like a summons from the court. Exactly. It gave the time and place she was to appear all official looking and everything. It was from their "prelegal department" whatever that was. I replied and congratulated them on their ingenuity and told them I hadn't seen so much BS since the last time I cleaned out the cattle corrals. I thanked them for the good laugh they had given me that day. In retrospect I am sorry I didn't format my letter like a reply from the court. I wondered how many people they snookered with that ploy. To make it worse, my friend didn't owe the money in the first place although by that time it was moot anyway. What few assets there were in the estate had long been distributed.

6. coffeemaker

coffeemaker New Egg

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks for the heads up! Got a call like that before, too. Told me I got some unpaid loan and that there's a lawsuit filed against me. I tried to reason that I don't remember any loan I got and requested a debt confirmation letter from the caller. He became rude and threatened to harm me and my family. Told him I was recording the call and I'd be reporting him to the police. The man just said "F*** you! and hung up.[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  7. coffeemaker

coffeemaker New Egg

Dec 13, 2011
    and by the way, I file a complaint about the call with the authorities and reported the phone number at http://www.callercenter.com. That was a rude scam call and I think people ought to be aware of them.

8. ranit

ranit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Illinois
    I am always getting emails that look like their legitimately from my credit card saying I need to click on the link & update information to avoid a stop on my card. Of course I never go there and never have problems with using my credit card. Sure would like to turn them in if something would be done.

Also received a notice several years ago from a collection agency (supposedly). No where on it did it state who the original bill was with or what it was for. I sent a nice letter back to them stating if they would give me more information and if I really owed the amount I would gladly pay it. Never heard from them again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by