New Photo's 9 week welsummer ROO?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tamsflock, Nov 24, 2008.

1. tamsflock

tamsflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    I bought 25 pullets I think I have about 4 little roos. This group shot I think has one looking with his neck turned and I think the one in front of him. What do you think??

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Looks like you're right about that one. Look at their chest areas; usually, the breast on the cockerels is black rather than salmon brown.

3. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Thanks specled hen. Are the feathers around head and neck more of a red color than the golden like the hens

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Hi, tamsflock. I agree with Cyn, you have a little roo there. I have Wellies too. You are gonna like them alot!

5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I also am agreeing. Whenever you see that much difference between the others in the flock, then it's pretty obvious that you have a roo. [​IMG] That's great! Now you have a guardian for your Welsummer flock. [​IMG]

They are lovely, BTW!

6. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    I say only one roo -the one in the back with the redder comb.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are the feathers around head and neck more of a red color than the golden like the hens

I've not noticed that, but the boys almost always have lots of black on the breast area.​

8. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    Will take a closer look at them tomorrow and take a picture of the 4 I thin are roos and see whateveryone else thinks. Appreciate the help!!

9. tamsflock

Nov 13, 2008
    Ashville, Alabama
    These are the 4 I think might be roos. When looking at the pictures the birds on the right in each picture had blue dots on their heads and were suppose to be roos. Then the birds to the left in these 2 pictures were suppose to be hens. But I feel they are roos. What do you think? Do you think all 4 are roo? I banded the 2 they said were roos they have the purple bands on their legs but to me they could be hens?? Maybe?? Or all Roos??

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  10. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    I have no experience with that type of chicken but looking a how big the combs are and te fact that they are already getting pronounced wattles I am going to say they definitely look like roos to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by