New photos of my Plymouth Rocks... roos or pullets?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by slaird61, Sep 23, 2010.

1. slaird61

slaird61 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    Hi everyone! My rescued chicks have been with me for a week now and they have grown some. Below are some newer photos. I'm hoping someone can tell me if they are all roosters or do I have some pullets too. I'm getting a little obsessed with finding out the sex of these chickens. lol...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Hopefully I'm wrong but I don't think I saw a single pullet in any of those pic's.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    wow I see all roosters ...except maybe one and even that one Im thinking roo...sorry

4. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I have to agree.....sorry. At this age, large comb, lighter color and "pointy" feathers all = cockerels

Pullets will be darker in color, rounded feather tip and almost no comb at this age

5. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    I would say roos. My Barred Rocks didn't have near that much development on their combs until they were quite a bit older. The fact that yours STILL have fluff on their heads/necks with comb size and color of most makes me believe they are males. Sorry!

ETA: Legs are lacking the darker coloring down the fronts as well.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  6. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    [​IMG] i have to agree..no pullets..sorry [​IMG]

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    They all look like boys! My roo barred rocks looked just like those guys, the girls are usually darker.

8. LALASD4

LALASD4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Seeing yours make me feel better about mine, mine are all darker and with paler combs.

9. slaird61

slaird61 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    Oh no! I was afraid of that. That would explain why they were dumped out I guess. Nobody wants 30 roos unless they want to eat them. Maybe I can find someone to trade roos for pullets with or I can just order some pullets. Have any of you ordered from a hatchery that ships chicks? If so, were the chicks healthy when you got them?

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:look at the top and look inot the search section for hatchery names--there tons that sell and ship chicks---better yet list your birds on craigslist to try and get rid of them?? Or for more chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by