New pic! 5 month old ROO with bump on beak, and now yellowish white spot roof of mouth what is this?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Burleigh Chick, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Burleigh Chick

Burleigh Chick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2012
    Burleigh Falls, Ontario
    I have a new 5 month old Blue Copper Marans Rooster that is almost halfway through his quarantine. He has not been eating a lot until just recently, I think due to stress and such a vast change of scenery (he was free ranging and now he is in a crate in the basement). Just last night I noticed this bump on his beak. I sit on the floor and coax him to eat at least once a day so I have spent enough time I think that I would have noticed this bump before. [​IMG] I had a choice of him and another from the same hatch and I do remember seeing something similar on the others beak and did not choose him for that reason. The lady I got him from is a vet, so I will ask her as well, and she treated him with a dewormer and mite product before we left. It appears firm with almost little 'blood' flecks on the surface. I don't want to put my flock at risk, does anyone know what this might be??
    Thanks All

If you double click on the photos the top one has an arrow and circle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm... I'm not seeing what bump you're talking about. Do you have a program where you can put arrows on pictures?

3. Burleigh Chick

Jul 3, 2012
    Burleigh Falls, Ontario
    Country goddess, I added a circle and arrow to the top photo, if you double click on it it gets bigger and you should see it no prob!

4. countrygoddess

Looks like some kind of vessicle. I'd show it to the woman you got him from. Since she's a vet, she ought to know what to do about it.

5. Burleigh Chick

Jul 3, 2012
    Burleigh Falls, Ontario
    Hmmm, not sure what a vesicle is, I have sent her a message.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  7. countrygoddess

Sorry! Being an RN, I just spout these words without thinking. Just be glad you aren't sitting at my dinner table each night (my family will attest to that. LOL).

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    No problem. Even an old dawg can learn a new word and what it means every now and then LOL!

1 person likes this.
  9. Burleigh Chick

Jul 3, 2012
    Burleigh Falls, Ontario
    Here is a closer view of the bump. It is softish, and the black flecks are scabs I guess, I was able to pry one off. The bump sort of looks like a plantar wart. Thanks for your input people, I am waiting for a reply from the woman who sold him to me. Oh, and I am always up for learning new words!
    [​IMG]

10. Burleigh Chick

Jul 3, 2012
    Burleigh Falls, Ontario
    Thanks for the big pat on the back[​IMG] Dawg! and the links. I did open his beak yesterday and did not see lesions in his mouth but the bump protrudes into the interior of the beak. Just freaking a bit as I would have liked to have integrated him asap ... better safe than sorry, I have yet to hear from my vet seller.... hopefully this weekend!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by