1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

New Pic of mystery chick...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WillsMama93, May 20, 2008.

1. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    It's so hard to photograph this one cause she's so black.. but she's developing brown feathers on her neck, and she's about half the size of my other 6 week old chicks.

Any ideas? I got her from the mixed bantam bin at the feed store, and they order from Ideal.

[​IMG]

2. WillsMama93

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Come on guys! I know you can figure her out for me!

I am thinking either Dutch, or maybe Japanese? I used to think serama, but she does not stand upright, and Ideal does not list serama on it's breed list. She's just so much smaller than my other bantams.

3. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Could it be a black sex-link pullet? Mine are 3 wks and are getting quite a few brown feathers. One is even getting a checkered pattern of brown and black...it's really cool! It almost looks like a barred rock but with brown & black feathers instead of white & black! I think some sex link chicks are smaller than heavier breeds.

4. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Yes, our Cinnamon Queen, Rita, is really tiny- but scrappy too!

5. debakadeb

debakadeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I would have also said black sex link -- do they come in bantam size?

6. WillsMama93

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    When we first got her, I had looked at some info on black sexlinks.. and I thought that was a possibility, but then I kind of forgot about it. I do think they come in a bantam variety. She holds her own with my other bantams, for sure! We are currently trying to come up with a new name for her, just not sure Bob is a good fit anymore!

Thanks for your input guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by