(New Pics Added) Just wanted to show off my little farm and chickens.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TCollier, Sep 9, 2010.

1. TCollier

TCollier Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Well here is my little farm. The existing pen on the left. The coop is 6x5 and the front run is 8x8 and back run is 14x14. I am building a new pen for my Coturnix quail on the right side. Total size is 8x10. Run area is 6x8 and sheltered area is 4x8. Also here are some pics of my chickens. I have 2 Buff Silkies Hen & Roo, 3 White Silkies 2 Hens 1 Roo and 1 Black Silkie Hen. I also have 23 Silkie chics hatched on the 28th of Aug. I need to decide which I am going to keep and which I am going to rehome. My quail eggs are in the incubator now. I have 80 Texas A&M eggs and 40 Jumbo Brown eggs. Hatch date is the 20th of Sept.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Holy Schmolly, I'm a like totally impressed! I wish I had all them eggs in an incubator!
    [​IMG] Can you please keep us updated on the hatching?

3. TCollier

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Definitely will keep you updated on the hatch. I had two bad hatched of quail so I scrapped the incubator and built the new one in the picture. Temps are rock solid (99.6 to 99.8) and humidity is too 55% and once I add humidity pads in the pan 65%. Did not get all the parts for my auto turner in time though so I am manually turning. Pretty easy though just flipping the trays from one side to the other.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2010
  4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! I'm also from Ohio--the Dover, New Phila area. Looks like you've got a nice set up there. Those little silkies are really cute. What made you decide that silkies are the breed for you?

We've got a flock of 18 chickens, and they're all large fowl, but a few different breeds....Golden Laced Wyandotte, Cream Brabanters, Buff Orps, one Black Copper Marans hen, a few Golden Buff hybrids, a Speckled Sussex, a RIR and some EEs. Just LOVE getting those fresh eggs.

We've got a few dogs.....a spoiled rotten pomeranian, and a little Irish Terrier puppy that we've had for only a few weeks now.

Just kind of getting the coop ready for the colder weather now......Dave is adding electric, and he's going to put a roof over our enclosed run so they'll have some extra room to stretch those wings....I sure hope we don't get all the snow we did last year!

Well, very nice to meet you, and thanks for sharing those pics!

Sharon

5. TCollier

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Sharon nice to meet you too. I am in the process of putting electric in too and getting ready for winter. I don't think we will have as much snow as we did last year. At least I hope not. Silkies are so docile and friendly I just could not resist. Cute as anything too. Go out to their pen and they come running up and look at you like where are the treats you better hand them over now or you are in trouble. When I let them out if I just go lay in the grass they will come over and some lay next to me some climb on me. I had regular chickens before GLW, SLW WLH and BR. They were fun but something about the Silkies is just different. How they look all fluffy like that and their nature and temperment.

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Yay! Another silkie lover. [​IMG]

Nice coops!

7. TCollier

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Definitely a Silkie lover!!! Thanks

8. silkiechick236

silkiechick236 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    Oklahoma
    LOVE LOVE LOVE SILKIES!!!! [​IMG]

9. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

silkie lover here as well, though of any chicken breed silkies have to be #2 on my all time favorites. My #1 is Brahmas (LF) but I at the moment have 13 silkies and am in love with each one I love sitting out and watching them, feeding the, and cuddling with them.

Great set up by the way and I LOVE that incubator!!!!

10. TCollier

Jun 22, 2010
    Franklin, Ohio
    Thank you very much ScaredOfShadows. I would be happy to tell anyone that would like how to build an incubator just like the one pictured. I designed it and would be happy to share if it would help anyone out. It cost me about $157 but I had a fan already about $25 more for the same 110v fan. That price also includes a Little Giant Egg turner that is not pictured. So if I had nothing at all it would be about $190 and can hold 2 egg turners or one turner and one hatching tray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by