NEW PICS!! Colombian Rock: Pullet or Rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickiemamma, Jul 16, 2011.

1. chickiemamma

chickiemamma In the Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    NEW PICS BELOW! Give me your two cents-- I'll take it! [​IMG]

Okay, I was certain that this was a girl until about 12 weeks, when he/she started sprouting a huge red comb and wattles. Before then, the only thing about he/she that would have indicated anything "rooish" about the bird was his/her size-- always a tad larger than the other chicks (of differing breeds, but same age). My partridge rock roo that I got at the same time is DEFINITELY a roo-- has the shiny coloring, droopy saddle feathers already and has a comb/wattles the same size as this chick. But I've always known the partridge rock was a roo due to very very early comb development (funny thing is he was the runt of the litter and has always been on the small side).

Let me know what you guys think. Would love to hear what other Columbian Rock owners think too! These are pics at 12 weeks. The comb has gotten a bit larger and redder in the last three weeks (they're now almost 15 weeks.) I will take any tips on what to look for around this age to differentiate gender! Some I can tell for sure, but others it's harder. Like this columbian rock!

Thanks!! (I'm a first time chicken owner!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New pics (at 15 weeks). Examined the hackle feathers this a.m. and they looked rather rounded (like a spoon.) His/her tail looks a bit droopy in the picture, but not really as much as my 100% rooster's tail. What do you all think??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011

2. chickiemamma

Apr 19, 2011
    anyone have a guess?

3. annageckos

annageckos Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    SE PA / NJ
    My guess, pullet. I don't see hackle or saddle feathers, but better pics would help too.

4. themenagerie

themenagerie Songster

Jun 8, 2011
    I have eight week old columbian rocks. I could tell that the roo was going to be a roo by about 3 weeks, he was bigger than the other two & his comb was very pronounced, but still pinkish at the time. Now it's red and the pullets still have very small pink combs

5. chickiemamma

Apr 19, 2011
    bumping for new pics... guesses?! [​IMG]

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Crowing Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Looks like a pullet to me. [​IMG]

7. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Songster

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Looks like a pullet to me.

8. chickiemamma

Apr 19, 2011
    Yay!! So does she just have a freakishly large comb for a plymouth rock hen? My barred plymouth rock hen has a nearly invisible comb. Maybe it's the crappy breeding from the hatchery? LOL!

9. snyd08

snyd08 Chirping

Jun 17, 2011
    yeah. shes a hen if ya ask me. a nice lookin one at that..

10. enjoyin' my chickens

enjoyin' my chickens Songster

Jul 13, 2011
    Hinesville, Ga
    Hen or roo, I've no clue. But it is a beautiful bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by